Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 04-28-2012, 12:07 PM

Default Input monitoring IN HDX/Native or Complete Production Toolkit

Everyone -

I have come over to PT and really miss be able to monitor multiple tracks, but not not print all to disk.

Is this what the input monitoring feature does? Allows me to have an audio track, arm the input monitoring, arm another track for record, and during the recording of the armed track mix the "input monitored" track into the monitor mix?

And if it is - my options are upgrade from PT software to PT Native or but the Complete Production Toolkit. However if I only buy the PT Native version system if I install the Software on my laptop and run PT with non avid hardware - do I have the Complete Production Toolkit so I get VCA and mostly ability to monitor audio tracks without recording them.

Let me know.

Dave
Old 04-28-2012, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Input monitoring IN HDX/Native or Complete Production Toolkit

Yes.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-28-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txshonk View Post
Everyone -
However if I only buy the PT Native version system if I install the Software on my laptop and run PT with non avid hardware - do I have the Complete Production Toolkit so I get VCA and mostly ability to monitor audio tracks without recording them.

Dave

Tom I assume your fist yes was to what input monitoring does. So I am still not sure on the 2nd part - If you buy PT Native and install the software on a laptop and use non avid ASIO hardware do I still have the features of the Complete Production Toolkit?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2012, 09:04 PM

I'm a little confused by your post regarding "PT Native". Are you talking about HD Native?

Input monitoring is a feature of having either the Complete Toolkit or the HD software.

It basically boils down to what's on your Ilok. If your Ilok license says HD10, or Complete Production Toolkit, then you will have Input monitoring. If it just says Protools 10, then you will not.

Input monitoring allows you to monitor what's coming in to that track without having to record arm the track. So I think you could use it the way you're referring to. If I understand correctly, it sounds like this may be a way to use Low Latency Monitoring, while still being able to hear plugins on your track, since the plugins are only disabled on the track you've record armed. Is this correct?
Old 04-28-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txshonk View Post
Tom I assume your fist yes was to what input monitoring does. So I am still not sure on the 2nd part - If you buy PT Native and install the software on a laptop and use non avid ASIO hardware do I still have the features of the Complete Production Toolkit?

Thanks
Let me elaborate.

I have HD10 software for the HDX card. If I run through my MOTU hardware (all native) I still have the input buttons for all Audio tracks and they function.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-29-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
If I run through my MOTU hardware (all native) I still have the input buttons for all Audio tracks and they function.
To clarify for the original poster, TrackInput Montoring as part of the CPTK is only available because a Pro Tools HD 9/10 software iLok asset bundle is being authorized by Pro Tools in this case. With a Pro Tools HD 9/10 software iLok asset connected with non-Avid HD hardware, that Pro Tools HD iLok asset authorizes CPTK with Pro Tools software.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 AM

Thanks you - I appreciate the info
Old 04-29-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
To clarify for the original poster, TrackInput Montoring as part of the CPTK is only available because a Pro Tools HD 9/10 software iLok asset bundle is being authorized by Pro Tools in this case. With a Pro Tools HD 9/10 software iLok asset connected with non-Avid HD hardware, that Pro Tools HD iLok asset authorizes CPTK with Pro Tools software.
for added clarity, individual TrackInput Montoring was tied to HD hardware in PT9 and earlier versions. so you will NOT have it even with the CPTK. you get this feature in PT10 and above. just wanna make sure the OP is dialed in...all the way

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 04-29-2012, 12:18 PM

^^^ He's Right ^^^

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-29-2012, 12:33 PM

^^^ He is Tom ^^^