Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-05-2010, 08:03 AM

Default Pro Tools 9 Native vs Pro Tools 9 w/ Complete Production Toolkit

Ok so I just spent $6000 on a Pro Tools Native system and I can't help but feeling like a sucker after yesterdays announcement.

Can someone please tell me what the point of HD Native is now that PT 9 has arrived. It seems like buying 9 with the Complete Production Toolkit gets you the EXACT same thing as PT HD 9 Native. Please someone tell me what I'm missing here.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 Native vs Pro Tools 9 w/ Complete Production Toolkit

Not true.

Check the comparison sheet. There are differences.

E.G. PT9+CPTK will let you record 32 simultanous channels PTHD will give 64. I beleive the same goes for outputs.

How about Input Monitering? etc. The list goes on.

PT HD still has its advantages

The adage with PT has always been to buy what you need at the moment. Whether you could do what you need with PT9+ CPTK vs 9HD
can only be determined by you.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-05-2010, 08:42 AM

Unhappy Re: Pro Tools 9 Native vs Pro Tools 9 w/ Complete Production Toolkit

I feel you. I thought I got ripped off too with a recent purchase, but you must really feel like sh--...

Sorry that sucks..And where the hell is the 64 bit version anyway.

They say major update but where 64 bit then!!!????
Old 11-05-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heck View Post
Please someone tell me what I'm missing here.
Several thousand dollars.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:56 AM

Its growing pains and many will feel some of it, depending on when they bought in. Sadly, there's really no way for Avid to please everybody thru such a major transition. I think HD will still hold a place in the PRO world, so I would not feel so bad about it.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-05-2010, 11:26 AM

First of all, since they don't actually start shipping until now, you should be able to cancel your order, if you want. Shouldn't be that big a deal.

But FYI, HD Native gives a few advantages:

1. 64 I/O vs. 32

2. The ability to use the various Satellite, Video Satellite, and Sync HD products. While this is aimed at Post guys, it may have advantages for music also.

3. The ability to use the new Avid HD interfaces. This is not a small thing, as they are reported to sound amazing, some of the best around.

4. Also, with the design of the new HD interfaces, it achieves lower latency vs. other interfaces with the same buffer setting. I.E., a 128 buffer feels more like 64, 64 is more like 32, etc.

5. The stability of PCI, vs. firewire or usb.

6. Having an integrated high end solution with software and hardware designed by the same company.

And if you think about it, to get all that you get with the Omni bundle, with a reasonably high quality converter, it's not as cheap as you might think.

For example, let's say you get a Rosetta 200, that's $1800. Then you get the X-Firewire card to use it as an interface, that's $355. Then you buy Protools 9 for $600. Complete Toolkit for $2000.

Now you're already up to $4755, and you still don't have any preamps or a monitor controller.

This would be somewhat cheaper if you're crossgrading from LE, and/or already have the Complete Toolkit, but you get the general idea.

So Protools 9 works out cheaper if you're getting a low to mid budget interface, but once you start getting to the higher quality stuff, HD Native is quite competitive.

And if you already have Complete Toolkit, and PT LE and hardware, you may be able to sell them, offsetting your costs.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:52 PM

Well said nst7.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:12 AM

Well said indeed. I did more research and when you start looking at monitoring etc it really does start to get expensive with third party options.