Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2012, 08:05 AM

Default Amps necessary for FastTrack USB?

So I own a Fast Track USB interface. I got a super dynamic mic. And I was wondering if it is necessary to have an amp connected to my FT. I got problems recording vocals, my voice always seems to be faint until i turn my gain knob over a half and a quarter, thus hearing white noise as well.
Any advice would be great.

Only please don't tell me to invest a better mic, because I do not have the time or money to invest right now.

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:35 AM

Default Re: Amps necessary for FastTrack USB?

A dynamic microphone is significantly less sensitive than a condenser, so it's output is lower in level. This is why you're having to turn up the gain on your Fast Track a lot, thus introducing the microphone preamp's noise (preamps on interfaces typically get a bit noisy when turned up). Buying an external preamp with a lot of clean, quiet gain will solve your problem.. but if you don't want to make any investments at the moment then careful use of a gate/expander when mixing should hide the noise sufficiently.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Amps necessary for FastTrack USB?

Solution 1: A good large diaphragm condenser mic. SE and AKG both has good mics that goes for ~ $100-120.
Solution 2: Record in the comfort zone gain wise and then insert the Trim plug-in on the channel in Pro Tools during mixing.