Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 02-01-2020, 11:52 AM

Default Anyone tried eATOM AI Synth VI yet?

https://try.emastered.com/atom/?fbcl...N3U2FA3oS6mJEM

Thoughts?

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-02-2020, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Anyone tried eATOM AI Synth VI yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Major bummer - you have to enter payment info before you can get the free demo. Message says you won't be billed if you cancel within the 14 days of the demo. I wonder if they send you an email saying you're coming up on the end of the 'free' trial. No thanks - been down that road with the Pro Tools Expert site a couple of years back and it was a nightmare to straighten out.

They do have both a regular own the plugin forever deal as well as a subscription.

edit for additional:
After further perusal of their webpage I find at the bottom in their FAQ section that in order to find out when the trial ends you have to visit your account on their site. No thank you.

QAPLA!
Old 02-03-2020, 06:20 AM

The video was worthless...didn't tell you a thing about it. And none of the audio samples would play for some reason. Not a great beginning!

The promo page says "The Future of Synthesis". But, when I look at the GUI I see 2 LFO's, 2 Mod envelopes, 3 Oscs with the usual options, and the usual distortion, fileter and fx, just delay and reverb. In other words, the features you see on nearly all such VI's or their hardware counterparts. So what, exactly, is "future" about this? As far as I can tell its not even close to the features you'd find on Falcon 2, Dune 3, or Serum, for example.

What am I missing?
IntelCore i7 CPU 920@2.67GHz
Pro Tools 2019.10
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6

Old 02-03-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
The video was worthless...didn't tell you a thing about it. And none of the audio samples would play for some reason. Not a great beginning!

The promo page says "The Future of Synthesis". But, when I look at the GUI I see 2 LFO's, 2 Mod envelopes, 3 Oscs with the usual options, and the usual distortion, fileter and fx, just delay and reverb. In other words, the features you see on nearly all such VI's or their hardware counterparts. So what, exactly, is "future" about this? As far as I can tell its not even close to the features you'd find on Falcon 2, Dune 3, or Serum, for example.

What am I missing?
Not a blooming thing my friend. Combine what you said with having to give payment info just to try the demo - not worth it. You're not the only one that can't get the audio examples to play and we're on different operating systems so it can't be said it's a Mac or Windows problem.

$149? You've got to be kidding.

QAPLA!
Old 02-03-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Not a blooming thing my friend. Combine what you said with having to give payment info just to try the demo - not worth it. You're not the only one that can't get the audio examples to play and we're on different operating systems so it can't be said it's a Mac or Windows problem.

$149? You've got to be kidding.

Well, if you can't be bothered to make sure your promo audio samples are working, that doesn't bode well!!

It may sound really great...but so do a dozen others out there with way more features. I can't see spending $139 bucks just to have some fancy looking 3D graphic of the wave form, which is about the only "novel" feature I can see here.
IntelCore i7 CPU 920@2.67GHz
Pro Tools 2019.10
Focusrite Scarlett 8i6

Old 02-09-2020, 06:50 AM

This is the first time I have ever seen PT used as a backdrop DAW to advertise a synth. That in itself gives it props from me.
I am going to try the demo, can't hurt. It will either suck, be ok, or be great. So why not?
He's even offering rent to buy for $9 a month.. Anyway, i know nothing about it other a couple posts here, so I'll go into it totally open minded.

Cheers
-Whenever I launch Pro Tools, I get wet.(™)
Old 02-09-2020, 06:59 AM

Well.. you have to sign up to demo AND provide payment details.. so i have to give my paypal and then immediately cancel so I don't get charged after 2 weeks.
The $9 per month is not clear whether you own it once you hit $139. I have searched the entire site, and if that's the case and it's just a sub, that price is ridiculous when roland cloud is $20 and you get about 20x more content.
I'm still going to try it, but now my enthusiasm is dampened by their lack of info and demo system. I have sent a contact message asking for clarification, I will let you know when (if) I hear back.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:43 AM

Sorry guys but this one is bad. For those who don't want to read further, I am rating it 2/10.

I already cancelled the demo period, I didn't even wait the 2 weeks.

This reminds me a lot of steinberg neon from almost 20 years ago.. It's SO tinny and small sounding. yes, that has a place, as "filler", but don't we all have tons of those things already?

The positive:
Lovely GUI, low CPU usage, playable even at 32 buffer
It is a proper rent to own, 16 payments of $9. I have that info confirmed.
Uses Ilok, so easy for PT users.

The negative:
No global ADSR, has to be done individually for each oscillator every time. So annoying to tweak presets.
No easy polyphony amount dropdown menu, you literally have to increase or decrease polyphony in one step increments, one click = one voice. Every time! And each preset usually has too low polyphony.
The sound is incredibly tinny, I think this is the weakest sound I have heard in at least a decade on any VI.
There is not one preset included that anyone would realistically use in their music.. the website boasts about the "best presets by grammy award winners".. if that's all THEY can get out of it, what I am going to be able to do?
That said, I did manage to improved some patches but still nothing I would use in a song.. I have so much better!
Even with tons of FX I couldn't get it to sound like something I would use.
The price is ridiculous when waves routinely puts their synths for $29. In fact, for the price of this, you can get the waves synth bundle when on sale if you are a little patient, which can do SO much more and offers so much variety.

Ok, for those with weak PC's and learning synthesis, having everything on one page allows a noob to test out a variety of oscillators and modulation routing in a simple manner. I give it that. But only if it was say, free with CM, or $10 at the most.. personally, even if it was free, i would never have it installed on my mac, as I see zero point in using 200MB of ssd space for something I would *never* use.

My emu stuff from 25 years ago sounds better.
It's tinny like a wavestation but without all the cool capabilities that made good sounds possible out of the wavestation.. actually, that's a good comparison.. really tinny digital sound.
There's nothing here that could be used as a lead sound in your project, only maybe to fill out another sound.
All the pads were terrible, plucks astonishingly bad, leads meh, there were a couple OK basses.
That's all I have to say on the matter. I really do recommend you don't waste your time on this or especially your money. I mean this is $140 US Bucks.. for that I expect a really good plugin!
If you want great plucks, try tone 2 nemesis under blue cat patchwork.
If you want a decent subtractive synth, try Curve 2 (again no AAX) or carbon electra (AAX).
I got carbon electra for like $40 in their Xmas sale and it's actually a great plugin (as is Virtual CZ but that's phase distortion synthesis - still, a great plugin and has an AAX).

I am so disappointed that someone would release something like this in 2020 for 140 dollars and literally be in such self denial to praise it so much on their webpage.

TLDR;

This is a "nothing" synth.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:05 AM

And ... another bummer - The trial is Not 14 days. It’s 3 days (72hrs) and the 14 days implies that it is a 14 day trial but that is a 14 day money back scheme and not a 14 day trial. If not cancelled within the 72hrs you get billed on the 73rd hour which we wrote a long pissed off email to them about as the website is misleading and borderline illegal so we got our 139 bucks back and uninstalled so buyers be aware that the DEMO TRIAL IS 72 HOURS and NOT 14 days.

Why is it soo hard to write a UNDERSTANDABLE info piece on a website 2020??? If you aren’t just trying to scam users then make it SPECIFIC and TRUTHFUL!

Fakk!! Took almost 2 days to sort out which is a hassle no one needs so stay away IMNSHO

This was the first response we got. Look at the prices first:

Hi there! Sorry if you feel that way but we appreciate you checking us out.

Atom can be downloaded and used for free for 72 hours. All that is required is you to enter your credit card details, which will not be charged for 72 hours.

If you cancel your purchase within the first 72 hours of getting an Atom license then your credit card will not be charged at all.

If you do not cancel within 72 hours than your credit card will be billed for the amount outlined in your payment method ($189 for a full purchase, or $19 a month for 16 months if set up with the payment plan unless you signed up through a bundle or other promotion).

Hope this clarifies! :) If you have any additional questions or require further clarification, please do not hesitate to send us a message.

--
Smith Smith from eMastered

So we wrote back and asked WTF it was soo much more all of a sudden and got this reply:

Hi there, apologies for the wrong info. I accidentally sent the old price. Atom now costs $139 or $9/month.

End Quote:

And finally this Quote from eMastered:
———————————-
As for the 14 days shown on our site, that refers to our refund policy. It is for eMastered's mastering engine if you sign up for a paid plan.

eMastered has a 14-day refund policy. To be eligible for a refund you must have purchased your paid plan in the last 14 days, and also downloaded less than 4 songs in total.

Atom, on the other hand, is eMastered's first AI-powered synthesizer. It's a downloadable VST that you use inside your daw to help you make rich sounds for your tracks. This has the 72-hour free trial.

Hope this clarifies.

--
Smith Smith from eMastered

End Quote:

————————————
Clear as MUD Mr Smith!

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-09-2020, 08:21 AM

It's rubbish Christopher.. All reviewers thus far agree with me.. overpriced trash..

don't even waste any more of your time, uninstall it.