Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 01-28-2009, 08:30 PM

Default scrolling up and down in pt 8

i was a bit slow in getting pt 8 up and installed and running. had some stuff to get finished up in 7.4 first. now that i have been running 8 a couple weeks, i have found my first true annoyance...............

i am editing midi for drums using bfd 2 for sound source. i have my midi notes window pretty darn large and have a midi lane under it open with my velocity at about medium size. i am needing to go back and forth between the 2 consistantly, but i have to be able to see both lanes at once so i can make sure i am dragging the correct velocity bar.

using the scrool wheel it actually scrolls track by track, so 1 notch of the scroll wheel is up and down 1 track instead of a consistent flow. the problem is i cannot get both lanes in view as i need. it does not use the lanes and main track as 1, it seperates the lanes when scrolling. this is very annoying and cannot find a preference on it anywhere. am i missing a setting here somewhere!!!!!!! i actually have to mouse over and drag the slider down or hit the + - buttons.......

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 01-28-2009, 10:45 PM

Default Re: scrolling up and down in pt 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
using the scrool wheel it actually scrolls track by track, so 1 notch of the scroll wheel is up and down 1 track instead of a consistent flow. the problem is i cannot get both lanes in view as i need. it does not use the lanes and main track as 1, it seperates the lanes when scrolling. this is very annoying and cannot find a preference on it anywhere. am i missing a setting here somewhere!!!!!!! i actually have to mouse over and drag the slider down or hit the + - buttons.......
Yep. I've been whining about that one for a very long time and there is no setting or modifier key to put it back the way it was. We need a modifier to break the track by track style so it will behave like before. For most purposes, the track by track method is absolutely annoying. I cant stand it myself and using the scroll bar is NOT an option. With all the bugs I see everyday in PT 8, it's definitely the "Vista" release of Pro Tools.

I started a script to fix it and put it back to the old behavior but that one is a brain freeze that will take some time.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-28-2009, 11:33 PM

i am still not quite used to the lanes view. not sure if it is much quicker for audio, but is much quicker and fluent for midi i discovered tonight, but this one quirk had me so mad i actually just shut down the session for tonight and hoping someone would just tell me i am an idiot and there is an easy fix.

i tried all kinds of things and could find nothing to fix this. i am just now getting to start a session from scratch for the first time in 8, and start another band this wed so sure this wont be my last issue.................

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 01-29-2009, 01:43 AM

Could someone explain to me what the fuss is over? I really don't see the problem if scroll affects midi and lanes separately or not. What am I missing?

--Bill
Old 01-29-2009, 06:11 AM

hello bill, when i have a midi note lane open and a velocity lane open and have the sizes pretty large i cannot get 1/2 the note lane and 1/2 the velocity lane on the screen at the same time to see what i am doing.

if i have a string of notes close together say in a drum roll and need to see whats what in velocity lane to edit, and use the scroll wheel to go down, it goes directly to the velocity lane and i can no longer see the note lane to see the notes i want to edit. quite annoying.

i can use cntrl and drag up or down on the note now in 8 for velocity but does not work right if you are near the bottom or top of the screen and need to drag past that point on the screen.

plus taking time to get used to considering cntrl used to release the note from the grid. now you have to hold left mouse button down then cntrl to release it from the grid......

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 01-29-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
...plus taking time to get used to considering cntrl used to release the note from the grid. now you have to hold left mouse button down then cntrl to release it from the grid......
Not if you're in Slip mode!
Eleven Rack (live rig and studio rig!!)
Win7 * 003R * PT 11
Old 01-29-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
hello bill, when i have a midi note lane open and a velocity lane open and have the sizes pretty large i cannot get 1/2 the note lane and 1/2 the velocity lane on the screen at the same time to see what i am doing.

if i have a string of notes close together say in a drum roll and need to see whats what in velocity lane to edit, and use the scroll wheel to go down, it goes directly to the velocity lane and i can no longer see the note lane to see the notes i want to edit. quite annoying.

i can use cntrl and drag up or down on the note now in 8 for velocity but does not work right if you are near the bottom or top of the screen and need to drag past that point on the screen.

plus taking time to get used to considering cntrl used to release the note from the grid. now you have to hold left mouse button down then cntrl to release it from the grid......
That actually is a good thing!

I guess we have vastly differing workflows, as I can't imagine why you would need to see both notes and velocity lanes so large. Is it a limited monitor issue or something?

What about if you put the main view in velocity? That way you can see both notes and velocities in one lane and still have good control over selection and movement?

Personally, I like the track/lane-at-a-time scrolling. It's faster and I never need to see half a track, so works out fine.

--Bill
Old 01-29-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidwalnut View Post
Slip mode and bouncing around between Grid mode can be counter productive in many different workflows though and isn't always the answer. Using the new snap to grid multi mode, Slip + Grid(Shift+F4) together isn't the solution in many cases also. To be able to ctrl+drag while in grid mode and invoke moving MIDI, audio regions, video etc in Slip mode fashion is very productive and fast and could always be done in PT. This also makes me scratch my head as to why the new snap to grid mode was even implemented as it seems to me that the originator of this had no idea we always had this feature in Pro Tools by using ctrl+drag.

Having said that, the fact that many of the standard PT commands are now reversed in sequence and even different in areas between MIDI and Audio is quite disturbing to see. This indicates the start of the uniform editing that makes PT king gradually fall downhill unfortunately. PT is king of the hill for editing because of the uniform editing throughout the app. The same one command can invoke an action whether editing MIDI notes, MIDI Regions, Audio Regions, Audio Blocks, Video, Groups etc. Unfortunately, there are a few commands now that no longer do this. Imagine 3 or more different commands just to invoke a split between Midi notes, Audio Regions and Video Regions? That would make the uniform editing, which makes PT very fast and efficient, go downhill and a nightmare to work in. Unfortunately, this sort of thing is now creeping into Pro Tools and that's not a good sign.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-29-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblue View Post
That actually is a good thing!

I guess we have vastly differing workflows, as I can't imagine why you would need to see both notes and velocity lanes so large. Is it a limited monitor issue or something?

What about if you put the main view in velocity? That way you can see both notes and velocities in one lane and still have good control over selection and movement?

Personally, I like the track/lane-at-a-time scrolling. It's faster and I never need to see half a track, so works out fine.

--Bill
all about work flows isnt it!!!!!!!

my midi notes view is quite large, my velocity view is set about medium. on a 22" widescreen, so screen real estate is ok.

i like my notes big and in my face as i am editing through sessions, i dont have the best eyesight!!!! i have had lasik twice years ago and still wear glasses when on the computer. the velocity i dont need that big though. but i dont want to squint!!!

i could put the main view in velocity, how it always had to be done in the past. but the point of the lane views is obviously to speed things up. as i am editing velocity and moving notes around all at one time. you cannot move the midi note while in velocity view. the idea of not having to constantly switch between the 2 is a great feature to me.

in dense midi note sections it is hard to look at the just the velocity view and know what note to grab and adjust, i need the note view. plus if you have notes layered in midi and go to velocity and they are the same velocity you have to be able to select which one you need to adjust..... you do that by selecting the midi note.

i could see how this feature would be quicker and faster for some workflows an in the situation of just navigating through the screen, but just changing it like this and no option to go back is kind of a pain. quite counter productive for me. i cant imagine me being the only one. i have worked with many other engineers and seen how they do stuff like midi editing and i know i am not doing anything uncommon.

Quote:
i sure hope that is a joke!!

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 6800k
Win 10
Old 01-29-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidwalnut
Quote:
i sure hope that is a joke!!
No, actually it wasn't! I definitely don't have much experience writing and editing MIDI and so don't have much history in work flow and editing, but I found that when in Slip mode you can slide MIDI notes anywhere. So effectively, this is unlocking them from the grid. Also interesting in that you can introduce a human feel because the timing is not 'perfect'.
Eleven Rack (live rig and studio rig!!)
Win7 * 003R * PT 11