Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2009, 10:26 AM

Default Patch Bay/Digi 002 Console w/ Analog Outboard Gear?

Hello All,

I'm currently running an 002 (console) with LE on my MacBook, and recently acquired a few outboard rack effects (most notably/randomly an old school Effectron III delay, which I'm dying to play around with). I've searched the forum and couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for (sorry if this has been discussed already)...I'd love to be able to use the 002's analog ins and outs as an effects send/return with TRS cables, though most of the gear is 1/4" mono, so it's not super pressing that it's stereo. I have a behringer patch bay, which I haven't really messed around with (not sure if the cheapness factor will alter the sound quality a ton, I haven't a/b'd anything with it) is this something that would be completely superfluous, given the fact that I'd only be using (for now) a few outboard effects? Would it be feasible to leave all the rack gear plugged into the back of the patch bay, and be able to swap just a couple TRS cables in the front to re-route the "effects loop" I'd be creating? Ideally I could leave most of the inputs open with the digi 002, and only use 2-3 outs/ins if possible. The outboard gear is:

-PQ-3 Parametric EQ*
-BBE Sonic Maximizer 462*
-Effectron III*
-Behringer Compressor/Limiter
-Behringer Graphic EQ
-Line 6 PodXT*

* indicates gear I'd like to put in the loop (putting the PQ-3 there would allow me to shape sounds post tracking, and record to a new track in PT...it could be stupid, I'm just looking to try it out)

I'm brand new to the forum so sorry if all of this is covered elsewhere. I realize it's not the greatest outboard gear selection (the berhinger stuff in particular, haha), but I'm looking to see what new sounds/functionality I can get out of what I have.

Thanks for any insight you may have,

Jer