Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-15-2005, 03:58 PM

Default major distribution for a brass quintet cd

Hey a client will be coming in to record a brass quintet CD next month. The group is all guys from the local symphony, so the playing should be really good. Anyway, he wants to know how to go about getting major distribution of this as opposed to just local. He was wondering if there are any labels that pick up recordings and arrange mass distribution, etc.... He thought he'd heard of this from other groups, but wasn't sure how to go about it.

I told him I'd check to see if there was such a thing and how to go about it. Anyone have any ideas?
Windows 10 Pro 1909
ASUS X-99 II
Intel i7
32GB RAM
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
www.doylemusic.com
Old 07-15-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: major distribution for a brass quintet cd

Any of the large Dist. companies are going to go through channels such as you would to obtain a record deal such as: Managers, Entertainment Lawyers, A & R folks..etc.. If they are looking to Dist. it further out than the local market, they could either A. shop for a record contract with one of the previous mediums, or B. Start their own label with their own capital, their own publishing, dist..etc.. and use something like CD baby to get started and contact all the stores through them being a label to find out how to get their records in the store. They will definately get more of a push if they sign with a label and get actual interest, but it is possible independently.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: major distribution for a brass quintet cd

Tell them to look up distributors... they will get the product into stores and collect the money for them. I am not sure how they get paid, I am sure most of them do it be percentage (I could be wrong through). Then they still need publicity. They should probably hire a publicist first... getting a buzz going before the product is available (but when a release date is known) is usually a good way to go. In doing this, they could set up a little independant label all of their own to run under. It would be alot of work though...