Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2012, 06:41 PM

Question Using Direct Out from mixer to Mbox Pro

Hey peeps,
I am struggling to connect a simple Behringer rackmount mixer (1202FX) using the inserts as direct outs to the inputs of the Mbox Pro in my home studio. I have the Mbox 8x8, and I have purchased the DOC106 adapters and the 274-1520 adapters (both recommended on various audio website blogs), and I still CANNOT get signal from the mixer to the Mbox which is connected to my Mac. I use both ProTools and Logic Pro for DAWs.

I know that the signal is going in from the mic (Rode NT2-A) to the mixer, but it seems to stop there because nothing is registering on the Mbox (even with the phantom power on), nor does it register in my DAW. If I connect the mic directly to the Mbox I see a signal in my DAW and the Mbox LEDs show signal...but still no signal from the mixer to the Mbox. I know the mixer is working because it's brand new and I checked all the channels, etc.

Can anyone suggest something? Am I missing something? Is there a setting that I don't have set on the Mbox that should be set; or in my DAWs? Please help!! Thanks!!!

Regards,

Phresh
Old 10-23-2012, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Using Direct Out from mixer to Mbox Pro

First, turn the phantom power on the MBox Pro OFF.

Then, the fact that you turned it on indicates you need to study "signal flow" a little more.

I have to go to work, so I don't have time to offer detailed advice, but maybe you can get started on your reading, and I'm sure others here will be able to help you out...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 10-23-2012, 10:17 AM

The DOC106 adapter plugs into the insert jack on the mixer. An ordinary 1/4" cable then plugs into the adapter and goes to the 1/4" input on your interface. You have no reason to need the other adapter you listed.

On the interface, switch to the line in or engage the pad where it is plugged in. Last, turn up the input gain as needed.

EDIT: Hey wait a minute. The 1202FX doesn't have any insert jacks. No wonder it doesn't work.

Hackintosh - Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH, Intel Core i7-3770K, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, 2x SATA 6Gb/s 240GB SSD, 3x SATA 6Gb/s 1TB HDD, 1x Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, Mojave 10.14.4.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.12, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre (Mac)
Pro Tools 2020.12, Mbox3 (Win)

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-23-2012, 11:25 AM

Yeah, I noticed there was no insert jacks, too.

Phresh, can you be more specific about how you're hooking this up?

Also, is there a reason you don't want to use the Mbox Pro's built in preamps? I'm willing to bet they sound better than the Bheringer anyway.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:06 AM

Question Re: Using Direct Out from mixer to Mbox Pro

Hey guys, sorry I've been crazy busy. Thanks for responding. Fact is I am using the RX1202FX Rack Mixer and it DOES have inserts on the back. The inserts are just above the line inputs, so everything that I've tried should work. I have confirmed that the DOC-106 adapter is the way to go according to your response and the response from Behringer. Still I CANNOT get this to work!!

When I sing into the mic, I hear audio from my speakers because I have the mic plugged into channel 3 (XLR), I then have the adapter coming from the INSERT of channel 3 w/a 1/4" cable (TR) going into INPUT 1 of the Mbox Pro. If I'm not mistaking, I have it all connected properly, but I just don't have signal from that insert point to the Mbox, thus nothing is getting to the DAW. Yes, the track is armed :)

It's very frustrating when it all seems so simple, but it still doesn't work! Can you think of anything that I'm doing wrong? Is there a setting inside the DAW that I should have on/off; or the Mbox?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:56 AM

Why are you trying to use the preamps in the mixer instead of the preamps in the Mbox Pro? Do the mixer ones sound better to you?
Old 10-26-2012, 10:48 AM

If you are plugged into the insert jack on the Mbox Pro, it won't work. You should plug into the line in jacks on the back of the Mbox Pro. If you plug into 1 or 2, the switch on front should be set to "Rear". If you plug into 3 or 4, the switch on front should be set to "Line". Set the line input sensitivity using the buttons next to the line input jacks. They should be at +4. You should now see level on the input LEDs.

Hackintosh - Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH, Intel Core i7-3770K, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, 2x SATA 6Gb/s 240GB SSD, 3x SATA 6Gb/s 1TB HDD, 1x Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, Mojave 10.14.4.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.12, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre (Mac)
Pro Tools 2020.12, Mbox3 (Win)

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-27-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
If you are plugged into the insert jack on the Mbox Pro, it won't work. You should plug into the line in jacks on the back of the Mbox Pro. If you plug into 1 or 2, the switch on front should be set to "Rear". If you plug into 3 or 4, the switch on front should be set to "Line". Set the line input sensitivity using the buttons next to the line input jacks. They should be at +4. You should now see level on the input LEDs.
I'm not plugged into the insert on the Mbox. I'm plugging into an input on the Mbox. That's why I don't understand why it's not working. Like I said...I have the adapter (DOC106) connected to an insert on the mixer, then I have a 1/4" TR cable plugged into the adapter. The other end of the 1/4" TR cable is plugged into one of the inputs on the Mbox. Should work right? It isn't! Don't know why it isn't because everything is connected properly.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Yeah, I noticed there was no insert jacks, too.

Phresh, can you be more specific about how you're hooking this up?

Also, is there a reason you don't want to use the Mbox Pro's built in preamps? I'm willing to bet they sound better than the Bheringer anyway.
It's not that I don't want to use the Mbox's preamps...I'm sure they are much better that the Behringer Mixer preamps. It's now the principle of it!! This all should work the way I have it connected, but it isn't and that is bothering me. Plus, without the mixer the Mbox doesn't seem to have enough power to really utilize my powered JBL monitors (I know they're not the best, but...). With everything connected to the mixer, I have more power to push the speakers. I can't use a power amp because all my monitors are powered.
I may end up just connecting everything directly to the Mbox. But now I have a new mixer that should work the way I need it to, but it isn't.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:04 PM

You are using an adapter that changes it from an insert cable to a direct out.
That is correct but not the best way to do it because of the inferior preamps.
You should be plugged into the back as stated above into the line input not the DI or mic on the front. I don't have a manual for your mixer but I don't think you can increase the gain out of your insert converted jack because the insert routing on your mixer is really set to go to an external processor and would be pre gain & level.
are you doing multiple tracks at the same time if not you could use the monitor out and then you could boost the signal with the gain in your mixer.

having said all that I really think you should go direct to the mbox. if it is not loud enough it is something in your gain staging setup. Many people use these with powered monitors and they work good and the pres are much better than the Berringher

Good Luck