Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2012, 11:25 AM

Default Pro Tools 10: Insanely slow? (Video included)

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to do some work on my new MBP. (13inch, i5, 2.4GHz, 4GB Ram, Lion 10.7.2, Pro Tools 10 + 9.0.6) and even when I just create one track. . .if I go to automation and try to drag the volume level it's slow and laggy. Like. .as opposed to before where I'd click it, a dot would appear, and I could instantly drag the level desired - now I have to wait a second or two before it does anything.

I uninstalled Pro Tools 10, and installed Pro Tools 9 and it's the same.

Here's a video of the problem - EVERYTHING has this level of lag. In this clip I click and drag across the sound file and you see how long it takes to respond (watch in HD to follow the mouse icon's movement):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWNtAx6QoKw

Thanks for any help :)
Old 01-16-2012, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10: Insanely slow?

I figured out the problem.

The video files (even though they're small chunks of 1-2 minute scenes) are HD and Pro Tools is slow doing that (probably due to reading the file and showing the video in real time as you move the cursor).

If I delete the video then all is awesome. I only need to give the director an audio track per scene so obviously I can sound edit to a crappy video and he can then put my audio track to the final HD version.

Going to export all the scenes as crappy movies. . .then sound edit them in pro tools.