Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2001, 07:18 PM

Default How do I know if this engineer is wasting my time?

Hi, I am a producer/artist with a PT's rig and I am looking for an engineer to mix down my material which is in a PT's session, but I'm having trouble determining the right engineer for me. My session is really quite simle- it's a dance track: 12 tracks, basically it loops 2 bars of sampled material for three minutes and it has some vocals on top. One engineer listened to the track said it would take him 8 hrs, another said it would take him 2-3 hrs tops.
The first engineer's rate is half that of the second, but I'm wondering if I'm just paying for inexperience with the first engineer. He says that he has been mixing for 4 years professionally, went to an audio engineering school, and stands by his work. So my question is, how can I be sure that either engineer is not taking me for a ride? How long should a mix like this take? Thank you for any responses.
Old 03-19-2001, 08:31 PM

Default Re: How do I know if this engineer is wasting my time?

Based on what you've said, I'd say the one who quotes eight hours is more realistic. But that means nothing on its own.

Don't these people have demo reels for you to listen to?
Old 03-19-2001, 09:45 PM

are you kidding me? 8 hrs. to mix 12 tracks of a 2-bar loop? plus some vocals (or was that including vocals?)...if this guy can't get a good mix of 2 looped bars of 12 tracks in half that time or less, you should tell him to go back to that recording school and ask for a refund...
by the way, why do you have a pro-tools rig if you don't know how to use it?....i don't mean that as an insult or anything, i'm just curious...i think you should mix it yourself if it's your music...you're the only one who really knows how it's truly supposed to sound...right?

[This message has been edited by Transducr (edited March 19, 2001).]
Old 03-19-2001, 09:59 PM

I know how to use my PT's rig, production wise. The mix I have done sounds great to me, but on other speakers the mix sounds like isht! I would say that my ears and my NS 10's r at fault for that- but mainly it's probebely because my ears aren't trained. I have tried and tried to create a good mix but I just end up adding too much eq and compression- I guess I'm just frustrated with trying to mix, plus I want to just get it out there! Is it that far off of an idea for a producer to be a bad engineer?
Old 03-19-2001, 10:03 PM

are you kidding me? 8 hrs. to mix 12 tracks of a 2-bar loop? plus some vocals (or was that including vocals?)...if you can't get a good mix of 2 looped bars of 12 tracks in half that time or less, you should go back to that recording school and ask for a refund...
by the way, why do you have a pro-tools rig if you don't know how to use it?....i honestly don't mean that as an insult or anything, i'm just curious...
Old 03-20-2001, 03:39 AM

You realy should try it though. The guy you'd be hiring to mix it should have experience in that field in particular.

If you want to start out yourself, just keep a few basics in mind that everyone could tell you about. You should know what instrument uses which frequencies predominantly and especially make clear priorities. Mixing the bass guitar(or the equivalent of it) with the bassdrum comes ti mind. Build it step by step. It's a bit like building a house with lego bricks, and you've got carve our the knobs.

Tony
Old 03-20-2001, 04:49 AM

Junga,
I understand your situation and don't think it's necessary for you to mix it yourself - let an expert do his thing. You could also probably receive great benefit by letting an experienced engineer help you during the recording phase, but that's another story... Anyway, I agree with Transducr that, based on the information you gave, I'd quote you about 3 hours for mixing.
Old 03-20-2001, 06:05 AM

if its just a matter of throwing up faders to 'get it right' 2-3 hours should be fine.

if the tune needs work on tracks, like fades, automation, editing, etc. and is in ANY type of shape like the music i have been transfering into my computer, from other people, it may take a few days to do all this.

i get stuff in here that still has timing and pitch problems, punch in noises, need a chorus flown around, etc etc etc.

it really matters what you want.

its not auto mechanics after all.

if you have to pay $200-300 to get a reallt kick butt mix that you could never do yourself, PAY THE MAN (or woman)
Old 03-20-2001, 06:10 AM

Consider hiring your engineer on the basis that they permit you to be present and observe their method. The best investment for you to make now, on this project, is for you to begin to get have facility with the mixing and engineering process for your future projects. As has been said above, you should aspire to learn to use your own Pro Tools rig.

Evaluating an engineer or producer is usually done on the basis of their prior work. With my above suggestion in mind, though, the best enginners aren't necessarily the best teachers. You want good examples of both.

Good luck to you.

John Caldwell
Old 03-20-2001, 07:57 AM

It makes a difference how you recorded your tracks...
It makes a difference if you are in 24 bit or 16 or using tape-or what plugs U have or not.
It makes a difference to do some final bounces and A/B with as many CD players you can find to analyze the "final" mix. This takes time...
It makes a difference that what you hear in 24 bits is Never what ends up on the CD.

Any "experienced" Recording/Mixing "artist" will have to go through a process that could take many 3 to 5 hour sessions to "dial" up the very finest Mix. ...EQ/Comp/Limit/Reverbs/Stereo-Mono/sub-grouping/Levels/automation/listening on
many speaker combinations-

Dialing in the vocal to be "perfect" could take 3 days...Do you have autotune??

What you hear today is never what you will hear tomorrow--Days must pass to know...

Do you want a master or not??

Do you think these guys that take 1 month of working every day on 1 song to create an actual releasable master are just waisting time to get more $ ???? ...

Garbage in Garbage out...
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr