Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 05-27-2010, 10:46 AM

Default Building a system, where do I start?

I want to build a protools HD system.

I am in the midst of purchasing a new computer. Just recently my house/studio was broken into and have been compensated some money from my insurance company. This was always something I wanted to try out as my old laptop could barely handle my Mbox. I've done a fair bit of research and I was thinking about using one of Asus' better quality x58 boards with an i7-930 processor. What other adaptations (if that setup would even be useable) would I need to make this work. There are also super computer motherboards out there--is that something I need to be looking into?

Basically what I'm trying to see is what I need to do to bridge the gap from LE to HD. I think starting off with one card for now would be the only feasible thing for me to pursue. What am I looking at in terms of costs? I realize that's an extremely broad question--perhaps there's some questions I could answer that would help give better understanding? The problem is, as it stands, I don't know exactly what I need. Somewhere down the road I'm going to be setting up a studio. I've taken some general recording techniques classes in conjunction with some Reason based courses. In a few weeks I start my proverbial ProTools 101 class. My knowledge of ProTools is limited, but at least somewhat existent. I am by no means a sav though and am still learning but I can certainly do the basic functions.

If there's a general thread (I didn't find one here) to help me get started in this direction feel free to link instead of type. It seems like there is a hardware thread but appears to be fairly dated.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.

Justin Butler
Old 05-27-2010, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Building a system, where do I start?

Look for a computer based upon what you need and the supported specs. Read this thread:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=166055

It's outdated but you can get an idea. Personally, I would go with a new i7 and make sure the mother board and case could accept full length PCI cards, have enough sata/ FW ports as needed. At least 6-8GB of memory.

Most new PC's mother boards still have PCI / PICX so the easiest way to get into HD is to go used. Purchase a used PCI or PCIX core card. They are going for between 1000 and 1200. An additional Process Card (if needed) will run you an additional $500-800 and that would give you an HD2 setup. They are upgradeable to PCIE if you require that in the future. Prices on a used 96 i/o or 192 i/o interface are dropping. I bought a 192 i/o for $1400......a 96 i/o which would be way better than your mbox goes for less. Side notes: even if you only need an HD1 you may end up going HD2 for the voice count, Having an HD system requires you to have an external mixer or amp , Mic Pre and talk back / headphone setup. It could be easily solved with a command 8. Look into those added expenses before committing. While I would tell you to go for the HD system and cheap out on other things (mic pre / amp / etc ) An alternative might be having a new computer with a digi 003. OR use the mbox with the new computer until you collect all of the pieces you need.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:02 PM

Thanks for your response.

What's the difference between an HD Core card and an HD Accel Core card? Is the accel card simply designed to talk to PCIe while the other cards can do PCI/PCIX? So basically I'm looking at at least one core card (be it PCI or PCIE), a console of some sort like command 8, and and I/O interface? Those are the main components?
Old 05-29-2010, 09:18 PM

Buy a security system and camras or you will loose it again.. The camras should upload all data to an off site server. they know where to come now for more and they will come back.

geovision 1480A card or 1200 http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/...ed=pgid&pno=29

I voted at www.deardigi.com
Old 05-30-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindbutler View Post
Thanks for your response.

What's the difference between an HD Core card and an HD Accel Core card? Is the accel card simply designed to talk to PCIe while the other cards can do PCI/PCIX? So basically I'm looking at at least one core card (be it PCI or PCIE), a console of some sort like command 8, and and I/O interface? Those are the main components?
The HD accel core only comes as PCie, it also has more power than a regular HD process card or HD core. There are some plugins that require the presence of an accel card in your system... but there also accel process cards available for PCI/PCIx. If you want to reach the 192 voice limit of HD you will need an Accel card, the regular HD core by itself is only capable of 96 voices.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 06-01-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
The HD accel core only comes as PCie, it also has more power than a regular HD process card or HD core. There are some plugins that require the presence of an accel card in your system... but there also accel process cards available for PCI/PCIx. If you want to reach the 192 voice limit of HD you will need an Accel card, the regular HD core by itself is only capable of 96 voices.
What's the range for the HD Accel Core's vs. the regular HD Core cards? Is the Accel version more expensive? What about the regular accel process cards? What makes the Accel Core card more powerful? Just higher bandwith capibilities?

I will probably have to start off with just one card right now due to budget constraints so I figure if the price isn't terribly different (several thousands different) I might spring for the HD Accel Core if what I'm hearing is that's all it would take to get me rolling for now.

Man.. all this is getting pretty exciting as it gets closer and closer. :] Now I just need to research a motherboard and case that will hold it all. I hear something about expansion enclosures.. wonder where I could find those..

::Edit::
Oh ya, also--do I absolutely need a command 8 or C24 in order to load protools... like for example, you can't boot Pro Tools LE without your mbox usb'd to your computer--is this the same of HD? Will I need some sort of mixing console in order for it to load? What about the input/output device?

Sorry for the dumb questions.. Just trying to get a sense...
Old 06-01-2010, 12:12 PM

you do not need a command 8 or control 24 to run pro tools hd. However you will need an external amp for your monitor connection if you don't have one. Before I got a control surface I bought a used Yamaha amp and plugged two outputs of my HD192 interface to the yamaha and then plugged the yamaha outputs to my monitors. I paid like $150 for the amp used, and really bought it because it went well with yamaha NS10 monitors. The thing is you can get a command 8 for 450-550 and it will give you talk back, control surface, surround, and a few more features. So do you buy the amp or spend a little more for a bare bones control surface.......your choice.....
Old 06-02-2010, 10:18 AM

So what are my options in terms of I/O devices... I hear there's alternatives to the avid/digidesign hardware?