Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2009, 07:39 PM

Default Multi processor, Snow Leopard, 8.0.3p ...?!

Hi there

This might have been discussed before, so sorry if I'm late -> just point the direction...

I am running an 8-core Mac Pro that came with Snow Leopard preinstalled. Since I did not feel the urge to downgrade my OS I stayed with it and tried LE 8.0.3p which just was released the time I got the new computer. I did some mixing in the meantime and was quite satisfied with Pro Tools' performance. Which actually just means I did not bother checking the system's performance since everything ran well.

Now a different situation: For the last couple of days I tried to do some MIDI arrangement with my also brand new Novation SL MKII (yeah it kinda rocks). Very often Pro Tools stops playback or recording and tells me to increase H/W buffer size which 1) I find ridiculous with an 8-core Mac and 2) happens at 64 as well as at 1024 samples buffer size with 3) a couple of plugins that would not have brought down my old Dual 1,7 G5. BTW I'm with the Mbox 2. What bothers me is that whether I choose 1 or 15 or 16 processors it does not seem to have any impact. Sometimes I get the feeling the CPU load stays nearly the same!

So: What's going on? Was I missing something like "Sorry LE does not support multi processor Macs on SL anymore" – yeah, we're talking about Digi here, so it would be as strongly possible as it is absurd – or is it only the pre-release version? I read a couple of comments stating that 8.0.1 (without cs3) was running very smoothly on SL. Before I downgrade my PT installation: Does multi processor work any better with you 8.0.1 guys? Or am I overestamating the performance of 16 processors...?!

As always, thanks for any insights. Yours, .bfx
Old 12-15-2009, 04:44 AM

Default Re: Multi processor, Snow Leopard, 8.0.3p ...?!

First off an 8 Core Mac isn't 16 processors.

Second you expect Digidesign to have their software written to access all 8 cores just like that? That's quite a redesign to their engine.

You can never jump into new technology like that. You have to wait then go. You also have to work more efficient by printing stuff you like and then disabling tracks to free up resources.

I don't get the point of running 4 million plug ins. If you are running all those plugins I have to question do you know how to record stuff to begin with?
Old 12-15-2009, 05:31 AM

One more thing:

I appreciate your thoughts, guys. However I also would appreciate it a lot if you switched off rant mode before typing and refrain from "I'll teach you a lesson, kid" comments. I – and I guess most of the readers here, too – am not interested in any venting (except it's really witty) or wise guying.

So if you got actually experience with the setup stated in my original post, you're most welcome to shed some light.

Thanks again.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:25 AM

What MBox 2?
If it's the Pro (FireWire) then I could not get it to work with midi until I deleted the Digidesign FireWire MIDI Drivers...
Now my system is quite stable (same setup as yours), only thing is that I can not connect MIDI stuff to the MBox, I have to connect it to my Command 8 or use USB.

BTW, if you happens to use Kontact as your VI, go into the Kontact settings and tell to only use 1 CPU. This is a known Native Instruments bug.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:57 AM

Cool then have fun. I made a suggestion based on doing this stuff for a long time. If you want to continue to have your stuff crash and have issues then go for it.

Everyone wants help but they aren't willing to take on a different way of looking at things. Then why ask for help?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:31 AM

Thanks amolin! No, I'm using the "normal" Mbox 2 not the pro version. So I don't seem to have any firewire issues there. The hint with Kontakt is a good one. I am using Battery 3.0.6 which should be same engine. I'm going to check its settings right away.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfx View Post
am I overestamating the performance of 16 processors...?!

I don't think so. Your 8 core mac pro should be able to run with buffer size at 64 samples without problems.

I would check for incompatible plugins or 8.0.3 unstabillity.

Have you tried deleting preferences and databases ?
Have you tried removing all plugins to the un-used folder, and adding the plugins back to the plugin folder one by one ?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I made a suggestion based on doing this stuff for a long time.
Yeah I thought so. I also feel your attitude makes you lack decency in your posts. You don't know me and you don't know how long I am "doing this stuff" myself. Only because I don't have to show off does not mean I don't understand the basic principles of IT or audio engineering.

Quote:
If you want to continue to have your stuff crash and have issues then go for it.
Sure I don't want that. But please read the posts before you answer. There was no "crash" and I did not ask for any platitudes about software updates. My question was:

Quote:
Before I downgrade my PT installation: Does multi processor work any better with you 8.0.1 guys? Or am I overestamating the performance of 16 processors...?!
Your comments did not touch any of this. Instead I am under the impression that you don't know really anything about the system I was describing. Are you offended by some breach of computer lingo or do you really want to make me believe there's no menu in PT that says "16 processors"? How do you know I am running 4 million plugins?

If that's your kind of speak then it's fine with me. Just be aware that such kind of a comment can easily be interpreted as some rude smart a** trying to feel superior by belittling others. Maybe you just need to relax and then you're able to really help instead of producing negative vibrations - as the rasta man is supposed to say.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:59 AM

Hey chrisdee

Quote:
I would check for incompatible plugins or 8.0.3 unstabillity.
Just did that. Have to give the session another try as soon as I can spend some time with it.

I was not aware that deleting preferences and databases would help with such a problem. But that neat little Pro Tools Pref Helper will make it a snap.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtme View Post
Second you expect Digidesign to have their software written to access all 8 cores just like that? That's quite a redesign to their engine.
Misinformation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtme View Post
I don't get the point of running 4 million plug ins. If you are running all those plugins I have to question do you know how to record stuff to begin with?
Wow. You are right. There is obviously only one way to do things.