Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2008, 06:10 AM

Default Hardware buffer size

I had to replace my system drive in my ancient Windows 98SE, PT 5.1.1 setup. After reinstalling software, etc., Pro Tools starts up fine. But when I playback audio, I get either a 9129 error (decrease buffer size to reduce audio processing conflicts) or an error (forgot the number) telling me that the system has held off interrupts for too long and I need to increase buffer size. I've tried both 1024 and 512 sample settings, with the larger buffer getting the first error message and the second, the second.

Is there another setting somewhere I need to change?

thanks,
Bob
Old 09-16-2008, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Hardware buffer size

We would need lots more information about your "new" system to be able to help you.

Please read the information in the General Troubleshooting post. It contains very important compatibility and configuration information, as well as information about how to post the information that we need to help you properly.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-17-2008, 05:08 PM

Dear spkguitar,

Thanks for your reply. I was not able to find a General Troubleshooting post for anything before PT 6.xx. If there is one, I would greatly appreciate your providing its location. Meanwhile, here's what I can tell you about the system. I am confident in compatibility as I checked this out very carefully at the time of purchase (obviously some years ago) and it's worked quite well since then, till the system drive failure. Any clue would be most appreciated. Thanks, Bob.
  • Computer model and processor speed GenuineIntel x86 1.0 Ghz
  • OS version Win 98SE
  • Pro Tools version 5.1.1
  • Amount of RAM installed 255 Megs
  • Any attached peripherals (hard drives, video devices, other firewire or USB devices that may be attached, etc) I have an external hard drive (SCSI) attached via an Adaptec AIC-7850 PCI SCSI controller
  • Number and type (firewire, SATA, SCSI, etc) of drives installed There’s an internal floppy drive, Samsung SPO411N, and a Western Digital WDC WD12, and an internal DVD rewritable burner
  • A concise list of the troubleshooting you've already tried - please be as specific as possible! The first thing we'll ask is 'Have you done everything in the Setup and General Troubleshooting thread?', so we'll want to know that you've done ALL of it and, if you've not done everything, we need to know what you have or have not done, as this can have a huge impact on further troubleshooting. I'll gladly go down a list if I can find the right one!!
Old 09-17-2008, 06:42 PM

Man, how are you able to work with only 255 mb of RAM?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-21-2008, 10:24 AM

Well, Bruce, all I can tell you is the system has worked fine with that much RAM till the need system drive installation. I realize that compared to what's out there that my system is ancient and pretty low tech. It works for my purposes. I suppose with Windows 98SE and a Pentium III processor, that all works together.

I did play the ProTools test session that comes with the software, and it plays back fine, no buffer errors. That's playing back from the system drive. I tried copying a session on my data drive onto the system drive, but I still got either a 9129 or 9093 error, depending on whether I set buffer to 1024 or 512.

I must be very close to success, so I'm particularly frustrated. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 09-23-2008, 02:39 AM

Bob,
I had the same problem (despite of the fact that i have a different system), and i solved it with spkgtr sugestion of disable the network connections. Just go to your Control Panel/NetworkConnections and disable all the connections wheter you are connected to the net or not. Do it and try to record. With me it worked! Good luck!
Old 09-23-2008, 06:29 PM

That wasn't a criticism, just that it's below the recommended and/or practical amount of RAM for Pro Tools.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction