Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2010, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Necessity of word clock when connecting to AD/DA converters

If you decide to use the a/d from the ISA 220, and then need only a DAC, then you should really look at at the Dangerous Dbox. Even if you don't use the summing capabilities, it's an excellent converter and monitor controller (which you'll need any because of using external DAC).
Old 06-24-2010, 01:36 PM

doh! should i have considered monitor control as well? :-0 is it an absolute must?

say, if i am using either

rosetta 200
ensemble
duet
or
rme adi-2

( i am convinced to purchase at least one of these)
Old 06-24-2010, 08:22 PM

Forget the Duet, it will not work as a standalone converter, so there's no way to use it with protools.

And with the Rosetta, you will need some kind of monitor controller, at the very least for a volume knob. That's why I recommended the Dbox, you get an excellent monitor controller and good high end d/a conversion rolled into one, at a cheaper price.

The other 2 units will work also, giving you both a/d and d/a conversion plus basic volume knob.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:31 PM

aha!! i see!
now i see that rosetta 200 doesn't have volume knob! it really is a purely independent piece of gear innit!

i did hear good things about d-box.. but at the moment i'm already too skinned to stretch myself to quality ad/da and speakers as well >_< budget wise!
in such case could i use mixer as volume knob? or does it have to be decent? something like mackie big knob or something? is there any that'd work without damaging the quality of the signal at once economical >_<!

for my current price budget i am muchly leaned towards

mbox 1 -> rme adi-1 with PTLE and LOGIC

although i really do want to involve apogee dna into my bloodstreem >_< budget or connection issue stretches too far

i heard apogee's converter's have decent mid * upper frequency though.. because that's something i'm really after.. hmm tough one to decide !

cheers for smashing inputs
Old 06-25-2010, 07:42 AM

The main problem, as the other guys mentioned, is the Mbox 1. It is really becoming obsolete and you will have compatibility problems with newer computers. You want to get an Mbox 2 or Mbox 2 pro.

The RME would be a decent all around situation.

Another mid-priced solution would be the Presonus Central Station. It is a monitor controller with a built in D/A conversion, though not as good as the Dangerous or Apogee stuff, but better than the Big Knob. However, this is D/A conversion only, you would still need A/D conversion going in, such as the ISA 220 with digital card.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
If I might make a personal suggestion, the API A2D is both a great preamp, AND a great AD/DA converter, with S/PDIF outputs that leaves your analog inputs free. One of the best solutions for the price.
I have the API A2D and it's good but does have some issues as well. When I use it with my SM-7b it introduces lots of clicks that doesn't happen with the 003R. These are printed onto the track, clocking off the A2D via S/PDIF improves but does not eliminate the clicks. No clicks when using any other mic, only the 7b and A2D combo.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThursday View Post
I have the API A2D and it's good but does have some issues as well. When I use it with my SM-7b it introduces lots of clicks that doesn't happen with the 003R. These are printed onto the track, clocking off the A2D via S/PDIF improves but does not eliminate the clicks. No clicks when using any other mic, only the 7b and A2D combo.
Only with the one mic?

Do you experience this with that mic plugged into anything else? I've heard a few mics through that thing, and I've never heard any clicks/pops unless clocking wasn't set.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-25-2010, 12:52 PM

Nope, only into the A2D. If I take the 7b into my 003R there are no clicks/pops. The 7b and A2D just aren't playing nice in the sandbox, been that way since day one.

I've clocked with the A2D as master (and also used as slave) with many other mics and never had any clicks/pops. I'm curious about using a BNC cable instead of the S/PDIF. But if the 7b is the only common factor, it just makes me wonder about what really is going on.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueThursday View Post
Nope, only into the A2D. If I take the 7b into my 003R there are no clicks/pops. The 7b and A2D just aren't playing nice in the sandbox, been that way since day one.

I've clocked with the A2D as master (and also used as slave) with many other mics and never had any clicks/pops. I'm curious about using a BNC cable instead of the S/PDIF. But if the 7b is the only common factor, it just makes me wonder about what really is going on.
Yeah, that really makes no sense to me.

You don't get clicks and pops with any other mic into the A2D, either?

It seems really strange that a mic should have anything to do with it, unless perhaps the mic is damaged. But if you don't get any clicks or pops direct to the 003... so weird, lol.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515