Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2010, 07:39 AM

Default Elastic Audio Question.....

I'm working on a song at the moment and i have successfully used EA on several tracks, however i need to use it on a couple more just to finish it off but for some reason i cant get it to work.

I go through the usual process of enabling EA using polyphonic, selecting analysis, however when i then go to quantize the track it wont let me click 'apply' therefore i cant go on to select 'warp' and move things about as you normally would.

Can you only use EA on a certain number of tracks with LE?

Any thoughts?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Elastic Audio Question.....

No limit other than what your cpu can handle, If you are finished with the first few tracks, you should commit them then move on to others to reduce cpu load. If the audio file is corrupted somehow, EA won't work on them either. Examine the PT task manager for info when you enable EA and while the track is offline to see if it is processed properly.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:52 AM

Thanks - i'll have a look.

I have 'committed' the other tracks i used EA on so i dont think CPU should be an issue.

Ben
Old 06-11-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benadams View Post
I'm working on a song at the moment and i have successfully used EA on several tracks, however i need to use it on a couple more just to finish it off but for some reason i cant get it to work.

I go through the usual process of enabling EA using polyphonic, selecting analysis, however when i then go to quantize the track it wont let me click 'apply' therefore i cant go on to select 'warp' and move things about as you normally would.

Any thoughts?
As said, there aren't any limitations that I'm aware of.. but I will almost always print the EA'ed track then make it inactive and hide it one by one..

I am a tad curious about how you EA though.. Here's what I do:
Set track to TICK based
Select EA type, (ie: polyphonic)
In the track view menu I select WARP
Adjust as needed..

When I grab a section that I want to quantize, I will first go through and manually set the first beat of every bar. That way there is very little if anything to have to readjust whenever I use quantize, (which is not too often).

Also, you can change the sensitivity by clicking on the EA button. It defaults to 40ms in polyphonic.. increasing or decreasing can adjust the sensitivity accordingly. There is also a FOLLOW WAVEFORM button.. I have no idea of what this does.. I almost always leave things at default and add or remove warp markers using the ALT and START keys.

All that being said.. if you have and use X-Form.. it is very slow to render and use... I would suggest setting all markers using poly then switching to x-form.. then waiting awhile for it to regenerate..

Let me know how what you do differs.. maybe we can source the issue..
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 06-12-2010, 04:18 AM

If i try and move segments of the track without quantizing it first then it moves the entire track rather than just the piece of audio i want to move.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:05 AM

Quote:
If i try and move segments of the track without quantizing it first then it moves the entire track rather than just the piece of audio i want to move.
I'm not 100% sure what you mean you move segments, but I'm going to take a guess here...

What I do is first listen to the part against a click.. if it's relatively close I will place a warp marker at the begining, end and any break in the section I am going to work on. This keeps it relatively in place. Then I will go through and manually adjust by bar, beat, whatever.., or I will quantize.

The thing with an audio track and EA, if you place a marker at the begining and grab the next analysis marker and move it, everything AFTER that analysis marker will move too.. up to the point that you "locked" it with a warp marker.. If the performance isn't too good, that can create confusion. Locking is a good way of avoiding this.. but it consumes a bit of time.. Even when quantizing I am in the habit of locking the audio at the bar markers before I quantize.. but that's my personal preference.. I actually still cut and stretch/squeeze edit more than I use EA though. Again, a personal preference.

There are a number of videos out by some of the folks here such as Kenny Gioia, and Stiff regarding editing and EA and such.. I would recommend them to anyone not comfortable with EA.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:

Any thoughts?
Is it possible that these tracks are SDII files instead of AIFF or WAV?
Old 06-27-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
A handy trick you need here; hold the SHIFT key while you grab a warp marker to move(that will lock the marker on each side of the one you grab).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave