Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2023, 06:06 PM

Default Instrument tracks frequently not working on 2023.6

Did my first production session with 2023.6 today and I ran into some issues with instrument tracks. I had just one instrument track in this session (Arturia Farfisa V), and it often would simply stop playing back as expected. The only way I could get sound on it was clicking on the keyboard on the plugin interface itself. It would not receive midi from an external source, the piano roll, or from the qwerty/virtual midi keyboard within pro tools. I verified that the midi was routed properly in the "instrument" pane of the mixer window on that instrument. I could also see the midi metering in that pane, however no sound was coming out of the instrument.

The ways I was able to get it back was either deactivating/reactivating that track. Sometimes that wouldn't work, and I would need to fully restart pro tools.

I've tried building a test session to isolate the issue, but have been unsuccessful. However after continued use, this issue does come back intermittently.

Has anyone else been seeing this on the new release? Would love to get a sense whether this is a pro tools issue, or a problem elsewhere.

Specs:
Pro Tools 2023.6 (Native Silicon Mode)
Monterey 12.6.6
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max Fully Loaded
RME Madiface XT
Old 06-11-2023, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Instrument tracks frequently not working on 2023.6

There are a huge number of similar experiences with VIs being flakey in Pro Tools, not just in this latest release. All a google search away.

e.g. "VI" stop playing site:duc.avid.com

So many posts out there you can't miss them....
Old 06-12-2023, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogamble View Post
Did my first production session with 2023.6 today and I ran into some issues with instrument tracks. I had just one instrument track in this session (Arturia Farfisa V), and it often would simply stop playing back as expected. The only way I could get sound on it was clicking on the keyboard on the plugin interface itself. It would not receive midi from an external source, the piano roll, or from the qwerty/virtual midi keyboard within pro tools. I verified that the midi was routed properly in the "instrument" pane of the mixer window on that instrument. I could also see the midi metering in that pane, however no sound was coming out of the instrument.

The ways I was able to get it back was either deactivating/reactivating that track. Sometimes that wouldn't work, and I would need to fully restart pro tools.

I've tried building a test session to isolate the issue, but have been unsuccessful. However after continued use, this issue does come back intermittently.

Has anyone else been seeing this on the new release? Would love to get a sense whether this is a pro tools issue, or a problem elsewhere.

Specs:
Pro Tools 2023.6 (Native Silicon Mode)
Monterey 12.6.6
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max Fully Loaded
RME Madiface XT

Similar issue with Sonivox plugs. Workaround is to select midi clip on the track, then play kbd or play the clip.

I have other issues with Arturia instruments (bad boys). Workaround is to inactivate Arturia tracks before quitting the session, such that when starting up the session, the Arturia tracks are inactivated. When strarted then activate the arturia tracks .
Old 06-12-2023, 07:45 AM

I've had the same issue with some instruments (Kontakt mostly) for several years / Pro tools versions. Doesn't happen all the time, but often enough to be super annoying.
Old 06-12-2023, 10:42 AM

I have also just started having this issue with XPand2 in Pro Tools for the first time. Just no signal at all, will have to double check if it was pre or post 2023.6 but it's a first for me. Not the usual opening a session and the midi is unlinked classic, but everything plumbed correctly but just no sound at all on playback.

Rosetta, M1 Pro, RME Digiface

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 06-12-2023, 11:05 AM

Yes, MIDI weirdness with 2023.6.

No sound from VIs (Kontakt, Omnisphere).

Have to reopen PT and then they still don't work sometimes.

This has never happened to me prior to 2023.6.

(16GB RAM, 1TB SSD internal)
Samsung T7 x a few
Samsung 980 Pro x 2 (in Acasis TB/USB 4 enclosures)
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt (my hero)
Old 06-12-2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
I have also just started having this issue with XPand2 in Pro Tools for the first time. Just no signal at all, will have to double check if it was pre or post 2023.6 but it's a first for me. Not the usual opening a session and the midi is unlinked classic, but everything plumbed correctly but just no sound at all on playback.

Rosetta, M1 Pro, RME Digiface

Yeah that’s exactly what’s happening here. Ive had the issue before where midi randomly doesn’t get routed to the plugin which is easy enough to figure out. In this instance, everything is technically done correctly except the instrument won’t play. This is totally new for me in this version. Rolled back to 2022.12 and everything is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogamble View Post
Yeah that’s exactly what’s happening here. Ive had the issue before where midi randomly doesn’t get routed to the plugin which is easy enough to figure out. In this instance, everything is technically done correctly except the instrument won’t play. This is totally new for me in this version. Rolled back to 2022.12 and everything is fine.

Well then. Here we go again.... Man that's super disappointing. I feel the last few releases have had some seriously bad showstoppers. Like this, or delay compensation being broken, or tab to transient being broken, or melodyne ARA being a mess, or elastique not actually maintaining it's timing, or crashing on exit... or the counter not even being right... waiting to get them fixed and new bug shows up!!! Interested to see how the numbers stack up for this bug because it's super annoying. I was working on a session sending patch changes to mainstage and qlab, and sending midi beat clock, thinking something funny was going on with my MIDI

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 06-12-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
Well then. Here we go again.... Man that's super disappointing. I feel the last few releases have had some seriously bad showstoppers. Like this, or delay compensation being broken, or tab to transient being broken, or melodyne ARA being a mess, or elastique not actually maintaining it's timing, or crashing on exit... or the counter not even being right... waiting to get them fixed and new bug shows up!!! Interested to see how the numbers stack up for this bug because it's super annoying. I was working on a session sending patch changes to mainstage and qlab, and sending midi beat clock, thinking something funny was going on with my MIDI

When you are getting this problem, is it preceded by a 6101 error? Seems to be the pattern over here. Also what are your computer/os specs? Are you running the intel/rosetta version or native silicon version?

Old 06-12-2023, 01:20 PM

on the sidelines.. watching this before I update re instate

I really Dont need simple stupid problems to derail me.

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]