Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2013, 12:05 AM

Default tempo on midi track

i'm trying to record a bass track (midi) that's needing to be much faster than the drums. drums are midi data also and are at 120 bpm at present. could any share with me how to keeps the drums at that tempo, but how to speed up the already recorded bass?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:44 AM

Default Re: tempo on midi track

what?? Okay, I'll admit, I am confused. You have recorded a bass track? But to a different tempo than drums? I'm not clear on what you have, so let me toss some ideas and questions. First off, what version of Pro Tools do you have(IOW, do you have Elastic Audio available)? If you DON'T have Elastic Audio, re-record the bass to the drums. If you DO have Elastic Audio, there is hope. Assuming the midi drums AND bass are in a session together, can you change the tempo so the drums match the bass. Once there, set the bass track to Ticks mode and enable EA with the monophonic selection. Give it a minute till the track gets analyzed and plays back. Next, change the tempo to where you want it. Both the midi drums AND the bass audio should now playback at the new tempo. Give it a good listen and even solo the bass track to make sure its playing back without any ugly artifacts(like a gurgling sound). If its all good, just to be safe, I would bus the bass track to a new audio track and re-record the bass. Reason being; all to often, EA will cause weird and nasty artifacts, so recording the audio while it sounds good, is the safest way to commit it. I have had audio sound fine, but once I turn EA off and commit, the artifacts appear and your audio is screwed. By re-recording it, you can simply make the original bass track inactive(and hide it if you like) and use your new audio(the original will be available if you need another shot at it. When all else fails, if the stretched bass track sounds awful, close the session but DO NOT SAVE, and re-open for another crack at it.

By design, midi tracks will(should) follow tempo changes without issue. Audio tracks will follow IF(only if) 2 things are in place; 1-the audio track must be in TICKS and not samples mode, and 2-Elastic Audio must be enabled on the audio track(s). As always try to use the appropriate option(Mono, Poly, Rythmic) for each audio track you are trying to change tempo on. Sorry for being long winded here, but I'm trying to cover all the bases for you(and anyone else that may be curious)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-05-2013, 12:41 AM

many thanks for your reply:) i'll put it into better context. i have pro tools 8.
i am recording a cover of donna summer's i feel love. i have drums at 120bpm which seems fine. The bass as you know is very fast. trying to play the bass at that speed is a task to say the least!! i've recorded the bass in midi format but it's obaviously at the same tempo of the drums at present and i need to speed way up. the drums need to remain the same tempo as they are. just baffled at present and i do indeed have elastic audio hope this makes it alittle more clear (or not)!!
cheers mate
Old 02-05-2013, 04:36 AM

Hi, Dath. Are you sure the bass isn't just playing 16th notes? I'm not familiar with the song but it's usually not the norm for bass and drums to have drastically different tempos, since, you know, they are the foundation of the song...

HP Pavilion P6000, AMD Athlon II X2 240 (2.8GHz), FOXCONN 2AB1 MoBo, 16GB DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, Two WD Caviar Black Internal500 gig, One WD External 300 Gig, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, SD2, Metal Foundry, Focusrite Saffire 6, PT 9.03 (stable), Gibson Les Paul Studio (Drop D), Fender Tele (nashville tuning), hand built Carvin Bolt (finished!)
Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 AM

Midi should follow the session tempo. Maybe you need to start over with just the midi drums, change the tempo to one that you can play the bass over, record the bass midi at the slower tempo, then reset the tempo back to the original BPM(the bass should go to the faster tempo when you change it).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-05-2013, 01:26 PM

i'll give it a go cheers
Old 02-07-2013, 01:32 AM

Hang on - if its a midi bass and you just cant play the keyboard quick enough to keep up with the tempo then cant you just DRAW the notes in by hand in the midi editor?

Maybe I have missed the problem here (!?!)