Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2023, 01:02 PM
Avid

Default Re: I believe it's time to change DAWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songster View Post
Upgrade Pricing???
Yes more streamlined. To simplify keeping perpetual license customers current, Pro Tools Perpetual Updates + Support Plan Renewals and Pro Tools Perpetual Updates + Support Plan Upgrade (Get Current) are being consolidated into Pro Tools Perpetual Upgrades. There will no longer be a separate, higher priced upgrades for customers who have dropped off their Updates + Support plans.

From the FAQ........

Customers with an active plan can purchase a Perpetual Upgrade from their Avid Reseller and enter the redemption code on the product page in their Avid Account, or purchase the Perpetual Upgrade directly from Avid on the same page in their Avid Account.

How does a customer on Pro Tools 12 and later with an expired plan get current?
Same as above, customers with an expired plan can purchase a Perpetual Upgrade from their Avid Reseller and enter the redemption code on the product page in their Avid Account or purchase the Perpetual Upgrade directly from Avid on the same page in their Avid Account.

How does a customer on Pro Tools 9, 10, or 11 with an expired plan get current?
Customers on Pro Tools 9, 10, or 11 with an expired plan need to purchase a Perpetual Upgrade from their Avid Reseller and redeem their upgrade at Avid.com/redemption. They will be prompted to create an Avid Account before upgrading their expired license. These customers cannot purchase an upgrade through Avid—only from a reseller.

Hope that helps and if ou have any questions, let me know.

Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 11-01-2023, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post
Yes more streamlined. To simplify keeping perpetual license customers current, Pro Tools Perpetual Updates + Support Plan Renewals and Pro Tools Perpetual Updates + Support Plan Upgrade (Get Current) are being consolidated into Pro Tools Perpetual Upgrades. There will no longer be a separate, higher priced upgrades for customers who have dropped off their Updates + Support plans.

From the FAQ........

Customers with an active plan can purchase a Perpetual Upgrade from their Avid Reseller and enter the redemption code on the product page in their Avid Account, or purchase the Perpetual Upgrade directly from Avid on the same page in their Avid Account.

Same as above, customers with an expired plan can purchase a Perpetual Upgrade from their Avid Reseller and enter the redemption code on the product page in their Avid Account or purchase the Perpetual Upgrade directly from Avid on the same page in their Avid Account.

Customers on Pro Tools 9, 10, or 11 with an expired plan need to purchase a Perpetual Upgrade from their Avid Reseller and redeem their upgrade at Avid.com/redemption. They will be prompted to create an Avid Account before upgrading their expired license. These customers cannot purchase an upgrade through Avid—only from a reseller.

Marianna
These are clear improvements in AVid's pricing policies. This turnaround is much appreciated.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 11-02-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
These are clear improvements in AVid's pricing policies. This turnaround is much appreciated.
+1... Nice work...

MacPro 7,1; 16 core OSX 13.5.2
PT 2023.9; Eucon 2023.6
Dock/S1/2x iPad
Old 11-02-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I'm frustrated ... and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I've been a loyal PT user since 2001, and even paid almost $4000 to become a "Certified PT Operator" thru ProMedia training. And while I appreciated some of the changes in the Program over the years, I feel the Home Studio/ Small Studio owner is getting screwed by the changes in licensing and costs to remain current.

I'm in the process of moving everything from PT to Studio One because PT has proven they really don't care about those of us who have been loyal to PT for 20+ years. I don't even want to think about how much money I've spent/wasted on PT since they changed to the subscription platform and then kept increasing the pricing. I'd go to Logic Pro if I wanted to change to the Mac platform, but I already have a lot invested in my Windows computers

I'll probably just downgrade to monthly until I have all of the sessions copied over to S1. It's a real shame they have screwed us with their poorly chosen business models and exorbitant costs. They gave us this "great deal" if we moved to the subscription model, then put us in a position that we can't go back for the upgrade price and would have to basically pay the same as someone who is brand new and hasn't been given them hundreds of dollars a year to just keep the same program with a few changes.

I have been an outspoken supporter of ProTools for over 20 years, but they have made it impossible for me to stay with them, or tell someone else that PT is a good choice.

Great product ... terrible business and support

I'd love to know what others think ...

What I think is:

What the wise man does is flush emotion and regret (given they are just baggage with no intrinsic value ). Then sit back and analyze the cost/benefit ratio. AND If it ain't right for you, then it ain't, plain and simple...

However If you feel you wasted your money all these years that's a shame but, that's entirely on you. ---- Ok enough soap box preachin'

I have both perpetual Ultimate and S1 -6 (which BTW I had to pay $149 )
What I think is S1 is a great program with some outstanding cutting edge features ...Especially things like drag-n-drop and some of the auto route track creation features , and I especially like that you can save and open a user defined template with tracks already record armed (are you listening Avid ?)

All that said :: quite honestly parts of the S1 GUI is pretty archaic,,,, sliders for send level and pan, really ? Also the fact that you you have extra steps to get the Mixer to mirror Edit with things like folder tracks And having to run outboard gear thru a plugin (as opposed to an insert selection like PT)
is frankly just plain cumbersome

But hey life is compromise.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-03-2023, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post

From the FAQ........

Marianna
Marianna:
That would help but since I went to the subscription model, they didn't "expire" my perpetual license (that I've had since version 5), they "cancelled" it, so I can't get the update to the perpetual license - it seems I would have to Buy the Perpetual License like I never owned the product or paid the thousands of dollars to Avid over the years that I have.
Please let me know if I'm wrong
Thanks,
Nick
Old 11-03-2023, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
If you look at the top of the Upgrade/Renew info page on Avid's site, it states:
Here's how to get access to the latest software and content if you have a Pro Tools Perpetual License.

It doesn't say anything about if you currently have a Subscription License about to expire.
Old 11-03-2023, 11:26 PM

I can understand where you're coming from.

Back in 2018 I let my plan lapse due to financial reasons.
I was fine for a while with my perpetual.
Then some new time-saving features came out that I could really use.
I still couldn't afford to get current so I took the offer of low monthly payments for the first 2 years of a subscription.
Bye bye perpetual.
On the bright side, I was able to take on some personal projects I otherwise wouldn't have without the new features.

My 2nd year expired right around the time that I had the money to get a new perpetual so I just went for it.
I was able to find one for a reasonable price from a reseller.
Even though I felt a little stupid about it I had valid reasons to justify the purchase:

1. I use Pro Tools regularly and having perpetual access to the new time-saving features is ideal.

2. In return for buying a new perpetual, I once again have unlimited personal recording & production time. That in itself seals the deal.

I just remind myself that one day of demo recording in a studio on limited time would cost nearly the same as the cost of a new perpetual.

3. Think of the time and effort invested into your own Pro Tools workflow. I went to Studio One for a short while (upgraded from the free bundled version to Artist 5 for $39 during a November sale). But trying to re-learn my Pro Tools workflow in a different DAW/GUI was nauseating.
It's a really nice DAW but I just use it for simple fun on the side.

So just remind yourself of the unlimited recording time & perpetual use benefits.
The feelings of regret will eventually fade with each new release and all the sessions you'll get to have on your own recording time.

Pro Tools Studio 2022.7|Windows 10 22H2|Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen)|Dell Inspiron 3650|Intel i5 6th gen|16GB RAM|Samsung T5 SSD's|Hitachi|Touro HDD

Toontrack EZdrummer 3|Steven Slate Drums 5.5 + Blackbird Studio EX|Spectrasonics Trilian|Native Instruments Guitar Rig 6

Waves|SSL Native|Fabfilter|Softube|Soundtoys|Nomad Factory

Last edited by take77; 11-08-2023 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-07-2023, 12:56 PM
Avid

Quote:
Marianna:
That would help but since I went to the subscription model, they didn't "expire" my perpetual license (that I've had since version 5), they "cancelled" it, so I can't get the update to the perpetual license - it seems I would have to Buy the Perpetual License like I never owned the product or paid the thousands of dollars to Avid over the years that I have.
Please let me know if I'm wrong
Thanks,
Nick
Hi Nick..... I was able to back track and find your email address use for your MyAvid and see that you cross graded to a subscription way back in 12/13/2019.
That subscription expired 12/11/2022 however you then bought a new subscription with a new System ID.

Im going to email you.. thru a case as I have a fw questions to ask.

Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

Old 11-08-2023, 07:33 AM

What about forcing people into the MTRX II that only want use the TB3 card with a MTRX I? This could of been designed for the MTRX I with limited I/O but nope. MTRX I worthless.
Old 11-08-2023, 09:41 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
What about forcing people into the MTRX II that only want use the TB3 card with a MTRX I? This could of been designed for the MTRX I with limited I/O but nope. MTRX I worthless.
Corp

Your response has nothing to do with the original post. You have issues obviously with Avid so why dont you send me an email at [email protected] and let me know what they are and I can see if we can assist here. The one off posts are not informative enough to help. Your MyAvid email would be helpful to include.

Standing by...
Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna