Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 06:40 PM

Default Re: How can i trust ProTools - why should i ever trust ProTools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d. finley View Post
All Computer Systems:
- 8GB RAM
- Internet connection (needed for installation, activation)
- 15GB of free space for installation
- One or more hard disk drives dedicated for audio record and playback, formatted HFS+ Journaled for Mac or NTFS for Windows. For more information, see this article.

Avid says to use a dedicated audio and I always will so maybe you can can it with YOUR misinformation
I qualified my statement as being about fast internal system/boot SSDs. The information Avid provides about disk requirements is comically out of date. And I've posted info about all this many hundreds of times on DUC.

As somebody who lots of experience working in the technology/computer/storage industry including with early SSD technology, I'll trust my understanding here. The stunningly small I/O latency at high queue depths of modern NVMe SSDs is orders of magnitude better than any HDD or slower SATA SSD. That metric is probably the best one to watch for predicting suitability for Pro Tools use. It's like comparing a snail and a Ferrari. If you are choose to run slow old HDD snails then yes you should use separate HDD for audio sessions, that has no relevance at all to what folks with their fast NVMe SSD Ferrari need to/should do. (there may alway be other reasons to how stuff is organized, but there is no a priori need that users with modern Macs need to be using a separate dedicated audio drive).

This topic has been talked about on DUC for nearly a decade, I don't know why all that has missed you. And so many modern Mac users have been recording to their Mac's internal SSD now for many years with no problems. You just look silly coming on here and stating it is a requirement when somebody is using a modern Mac.

As others point out, Avid own info is so far behind here it's just embarrassing to them, no mention of SSD, no mention of APFS, etc. I've pointed this out enough times to Avid folks, it is unclear why they can't update stuff, there is apparently no good answer. But this is not the only stuff wrong/out of date on their website as has been talked about in at least one recent thread about the web site.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-05-2023 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-05-2023, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d. finley View Post
So much for trusting Avid!! I will continue to use a dedicated HD for audio and video.
That is your choice, certainly a silly choice, and it's all yours.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
That is your choice, certainly a silly choice, and it's all yours.
And I find your comment unnecessary and silly.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:37 PM

64 reverbs???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2023, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
64 reverbs???
Come on!
He said he was pushing to see the limits.

Let's try to not let this forum deteriorate. Don't post if you're not trying to contribute something.
Old 04-05-2023, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I qualified my statement as being about fast internal system/boot SSDs. The information Avid provides about disk requirements is comically out of date. And I've posted info about all this many hundreds of times on DUC.

As somebody who lots of experience working in the technology/computer/storage industry including with early SSD technology, I'll trust my understanding here. The stunningly small I/O latency at high queue depths of modern NVMe SSDs is orders of magnitude better than any HDD or slower SATA SSD. That metric is probably the best one to watch for predicting suitability for Pro Tools use. It's like comparing a snail and a Ferrari. If you are choose to run slow old HDD snails then yes you should use separate HDD for audio sessions, that has no relevance at all to what folks with their fast NVMe SSD Ferrari need to/should do. (there may alway be other reasons to how stuff is organized, but there is no a priori need that users with modern Macs need to be using a separate dedicated audio drive).

This topic has been talked about on DUC for nearly a decade, I don't know why all that has missed you. And so many modern Mac users have been recording to their Mac's internal SSD now for many years with no problems. You just look silly coming on here and stating it is a requirement when somebody is using a modern Mac.

As others point out, Avid own info is so far behind here it's just embarrassing to them, no mention of SSD, no mention of APFS, etc. I've pointed this out enough times to Avid folks, it is unclear why they can't update stuff, there is apparently no good answer. But this is not the only stuff wrong/out of date on their website as has been talked about in at least one recent thread about the web site.

This is totally correct from Darryl Ram here. I have had many Avid people like Jeff Komar tell me that the day of disk cache, as well as recording on external drives is history. There is no reason for that now unless you just do not have the room. Plus, there are so many super fast SSD's as well now that run like super fast 6000+mb/s like my new internal Mac Studio drive's write speed. I like the snail to a Ferrari comparison-:)
G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 04-05-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gives View Post
This is totally correct from Darryl Ram here. I have had many Avid people like Jeff Komar tell me that the day of disk cache, as well as recording on external drives is history. There is no reason for that now unless you just do not have the room. Plus, there are so many super fast SSD's as well now that run like super fast 6000+mb/s like my new internal Mac Studio drive's write speed. I like the snail to a Ferrari comparison-:)
G
Good point about the disk cache. I have fast drives, and only 16GB RAM, so I have cache set to 'normal', which essentially means 'off'. I need every GB of memory, and can't waste it on a totally unnecessary disk cache.
Old 04-05-2023, 08:29 PM

Hard drives, mechanical or otherwise fail. Disk Warrior currently doesn't support utilities on the new APFS. Dedicated audio drives are HFS+ and DW works great on these when needed.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 04-06-2023, 02:25 AM

Hard drive speed really isn't the issue for most people using Pro Tools. It is more often a choice about whether you are happy to pay extra for internal storage.

A Samsung T7 on Thunderbolt easily does over 100 tracks at 88.2 for me, but sometimes I wish I had the extra port available on the back of my Mac.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:41 AM

So back to the OP's question I find it curious that no one has mentioned or asked --- perhaps the most pertinent question .

Why wood a pro CHOOSE to put themselves in the position having to trust a professional live recording session to a brand new system =new machine, new OS, and new PT version ????
Which just seems to obviously be a fundamentally bad Idea with any DAW ...........

The pros and studios that I know,,, always have at least two systems one that they know works (that they have not updated ) and then they can test a new system at their leisure with out risking a paying customer gig ............YMMV

I know that if I were a paying customer and the studio used my session to experiment with a new system and it crashed mid session, I would be pretty upset and would not continue to use (trust) that studio ..
Seems to to me like a fairly amateurish, basic mistake, of operating procedure, and if the OP needs to blame someone he might want to look in the mirror first... Just my thoughts

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 04-06-2023 at 08:12 AM.
Closed Thread