Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2001, 08:14 AM

Default Fat and deep bass

I'm trying to achieve very deep and fat analog basses in my mix, but it's never as full as those that i can hear in some chart records:
Has anyone any tip to get it?
It's a question of source sound or sound design/plugin usage?
Is it possible to do it within PT or it's a matter of analog processing, or do i need to buy a Moog....?

Thank you

------------------
somewhere in the planet
Old 04-04-2001, 11:53 PM

Default Re: Fat and deep bass

A Moog is a step in the right direction.
It about good source audio but also about mix and performance.

Also don't EQ the heck out of stuff. The phase gets all crazy.

When you add gobbs of 20hz u loose all the punch + the proportion to the top end that is attack or buzz of a kick or synth will be lopp sidded and make mush.

6"x9" speakers have to push 808s and 26" Led Zeplin kick drums so dont make so much long wave form that they turn to disortion on you. Sometimes Lows sound horrid and dull on neirfeild and are just waiting for subs.

Use up all the head room by editing holes in the mix and performace so that the 808 or fat kick has a space to take up the whole dynamic range in the recording.

Check out Dr. Dre the Cronic or Areosmith Get a Grip. Diffrent ends of the spectrum but the bass rocks and the Mastering is golden. Also Beastie Boys Check your Head will for understated punchy lows that set your pants on fire!

Any more questions about lows?

------------------
"Natorious" Tad Banzuelo
Rockin' SoCal
[email protected]
Old 04-05-2001, 12:35 AM

Another handly little trick:
Waves' MaxxBass! A very handy plugin that boosts bass without EQ.
Also: Waves'RennaisanceBass
as well as Aural Exciter and Big Bottom plugins, will both help to boost without EQing. I do really bass-heavy electronica, so I depend quite heavily on Maxx Bass to give my mixes an extreme ammount of low end on the bass tracks.

Do keep one thing in mind.
If you're writing club music, once music gets up past 90db or so, you suddenly have an extreme ammount of natural bass due to the fact that your ears perceive different frequencies differently at different amplitudes It's called the Fletcher-Munson Equal Loudness Contours. Which is why a lot of artists sound so bass-rich when you hear them at the club.

------------------
Dave Belazis
Conscious Productions
Conscious Studios
Old 04-05-2001, 03:11 AM

a strange exemple: Music of Madonna, in any consumer hifi the basses are distorted, but if i listen to it in my studio with Genelec1032 the basses are.... Fantastic, super and clean.

------------------
somewhere in the planet
Old 04-08-2001, 03:15 AM

Try compressing the lomid regions. Often there is too much tone (160-400)and to less quake (25-100). so try a bandsplit compressor as found on the C1 Waves compressor. I had some nice results with it. Compressing freq.center around 250Hz. Compress haevily and tweak the Qfactor for desired eq result. Allow some release on teh rhythm and dont attack too fast to allow some of the original punch. Dont make up gain on the Comp. but on the outputstage of the comp. Makig up on the comp causes the compressed freq to be raised which brings you back to start...The heavier you compress the louder you can raise your analog bass. What I often did also is making up the lost gain with a Waves Ultramaximizer patched after the Waves C1 thats really awesome...
Old 04-08-2001, 08:23 PM

The Virus plug in should be a great place to start.

I find the less EQ type plug ins the better.

Try adding some sans amp for power
Old 04-10-2001, 10:05 PM

Sans amp will mud your bass too easily, I like to use it on basslines that aren't providing the earth shaking "ooomph", but otherwise it's a bass killer.

If you want a distorted Virus part, use a Virus module, it has built in distortion designed exactly for the instrument.'

If you really want to make the bass shake, run it through a compressor. The 1176 does quite nicely.
Old 04-10-2001, 10:27 PM

I must correct myself.

I usually add the Sans Amp to real or Moog or Juno Synth Bass.

Not the Virus. I know I said that though.
Old 04-11-2001, 07:02 AM

btw can u compare a real MOOG synth to virtual synth : pulsar,scope,virus
plug , in terms of wormth , punch , color .beuty : )
i heard ppl start to think that you can get a real wormth from a virual synth ... like a real moog ...
is that the future :
a studio full of monitor screans with loads of virtual stuff .. . .
personaly i would like to have a space studio : i'm in the center and all around me i'll see monitors ...
ok the 2nd room will be loaded with analog antics (like 2day)

out
Old 04-11-2001, 11:19 AM

a reply to Sandman

A Keyboard player friend of mine was over a couple of months ago and he was checking out some of my VSTi synths and he was very impressed. The B4 absolutely blew him away (he is a vintage man/ has I believe 3 b3 and various other synths like mini moog and the such) The Mini Moog modeler caught his attention too. the next day he had a new/old mini moog that came into the shop and he brought me in to show me what he thought the plug in sounded like. He was letting me hear a in very well condition tuning and shape mini moog. He went on to explain that this is not what alot of purists are looking for (a perfect moog) which is what he felt the plug in offered. Perfect pitch and kept it's tuning. Virtual is cool, but alot of people like the fact that only there moog/1176 sounds like there moog/1176

Cheers
KBP