Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2001, 03:43 PM

Default WHY oh WHY Logic/PT

when I use Reaktor or SSC with direct connect in a TDM session with PT as the software , my counters act very sluggish and are therefore unusable.Even when I take a simple 4bar loop with only 1 midi note.
With the same kind of session Logic(tTDM) as the software, everything works perfect and smooth.

Stock mac 9600/350
24 mix
and yes, the latest direct connect plug and streammanager

xxx [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2001, 05:38 PM

Default Re: WHY oh WHY Logic/PT

You could try lowering the CPU usage and or the H/W Buffer in your Hardware setup window. Mabye try taking your monitor from millions to thousands of colors. It's hard to compare Logic and Pro Tools because they are 2 different applications. I can tell you this - Pro Tools and Direct Connect/RTAS or anything host based work much better with a G4 than with a 9600 - whether you use Logic, Pro Tools, Performer or Cubase.
Old 07-27-2001, 01:32 AM

Carlone ,
I tried all the options.The problem stays ,
test: single midi track with 1(one) midi note.
No problem in Logic, stuttering counter and locator in PT [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2001, 12:00 AM

Helloooooo!!!!!!! Tekheads [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2001, 05:49 AM

bump
Old 07-28-2001, 04:57 PM

Host based applications, especially CPU hogs like reaktor and soft samplers need next generation processors to do this work. That's what the app's were designed to for. You could find a Newer Technology G3 card if you can't upgrade at this point but the future holds lots of stuff that the 9600/350 won't handle, Pro Tools x.x included.
Die hard 9600/350

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: RayCervenka ]
Old 07-29-2001, 12:32 AM

cluelss , i have just figured out , that PT midi sucks bigtime . i have tried it on several systems and its not useable . i know some people say , " yeah but its working blabla " . maybe they know the trick how to create " a half midi note " [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2001, 02:56 AM

What I want to say is that with the Digi hardware BUT LOGIC as the software everything works extremely smooth with my 9600, even with a lot of plugins.
Why can't PT handle this.
Note that I did this test with one (1) audio track and a single midi note.
Old 07-29-2001, 08:35 PM

The difference between Pro tools and Logic is the graphic demand for Pro Tool's GUI is greater. The work around would be to print to audio your native applications/tracks within Logic and import the audio to Pro Tools.
Running a Quick Time movie with audio tracks active in Pro Tools is also a dog with my 9600 which was resolved by getting it off the processor and on to a video capture card (DC30+ now discontinued)