Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2008, 11:13 AM

Unhappy Axiom 49, Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4 CS2 : "Unable to locate M-audio hardware"

Hi all. I just got an M-Audio Axiom 49 and Pro Tools M-Powered 7.4 with CS2 update. I got the latest Axiom driver from M-Audio's website. The filename is: MA_CMIDI_WDM_4.2.03v4.exe
Just for kicks I installed the latest Enigma software: Enigma_Ver_1.2.exe

Every time I load up Pro Tools, I get the following message:
"Unable to locate M-audio hardware. Make sure your hardware is connected and turned on."
And then the program exits.
Please help! Thank you!

Eric
Old 08-14-2008, 11:19 AM

The Axiom is not audio interface hardware; it's just a MIDI controller.

You need a compatible audio interface to be able to use Pro Tools MPowered.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 08-14-2008, 11:44 AM

I don't understand what you mean. Is there a different version of Pro Tools I can use with the Axiom? Is there other software similar to Pro Tools that would work with the Axiom? Did I buy the wrong hardware? I watched this video on M-Audio's website of a guy using an Axiom 25 with Pro Tools: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...ac9194704d9ba1
I also found videos on YouTube of people using the Axiom with Pro Tools: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f
Thanks for your help.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:05 PM

The Axiom can be used with Pro Tools, but only as a MIDI controller to input MIDI and to play Virtual instruments. It is not an audio interface ("soundcard").

The Axiom is an M-Audio MIDI product/device. Pro Tools requires a compatible M-Audio AUDIO product/device to function.

You need to have a compatible M-Audio AUDIO interface to be able to use Pro Tools. Period. You need a compatible "soundcard" to input and output the audio from Pro Tools. The Axiom is not a soundcard at all. It is just a MIDI controller. In all of those videos that you see people using the Axiom with Pro Tools, they are also using some kind of audio interface in addition to the Axiom to make Pro Tools function.

There is a list of compatible M-Audio audio interfaces both on the M-Audio website, and on the product documentation for Pro Tools MPowered.

The current compatible list of interfaces is as follows:
  • Audiophile 192
  • Audiophile 2496
  • Audiophile USB
  • Delta 1010
  • Delta 1010LT
  • Delta 44
  • Delta 66
  • Fast Track Ultra
  • FireWire 1814
  • FireWire 410
  • FireWire Audiophile
  • FireWire Solo
  • JamLab
  • M-Audio Black Box
  • M-Audio Ozone
  • MobilePre USB
  • NRV10
  • Ozonic
  • ProFire 2626
  • ProFire Lightbridge
  • ProjectMix I/O
  • Torq Conectiv
  • Transit

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 08-14-2008, 02:13 PM

Ok thanks for the info. So the Axiom is essentially an instrument, like a guitar or piano, that requires some audio interface to input to Pro Tools. That's really strange.
So, is there an interface that would work with Pro Tools that would allow me to plug in my Axiom and a guitar, and optionally a mic? I would not want to spend more than $100-$200 for this. Also, I could exchange my Pro Tools for the regular LE version and use some other hardware. I could also use some software other than Pro Tools if it does the same job.
My main goal here is to use my Axiom to control programs like NI Absynth, NI Battery, FL Studio, etc., record my classical guitar, and compose/mix/master using Pro Tools or some similar mixing software.
What do you think?

Cheers,

Eric
Old 08-14-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleightmind View Post
Ok thanks for the info. So the Axiom is essentially an instrument, like a guitar or piano, that requires some audio interface to input to Pro Tools.
No. The axiom is just a MIDI controller. It produces no sound on it's own, it just creates computer data that tells other instruments what to play and how to play it.

The Axiom is not what requires the audio interface. The Pro Tools software requires an audio interface. How did you intend to hear the audio output from Pro Tools? How did you intend to record your guitar? You need an audio interface.
Quote:
So, is there an interface that would work with Pro Tools that would allow me to plug in my Axiom and a guitar, and optionally a mic?
Yes. I gave you a list of the interfaces that are compatible with Pro Tools MPowered in my last post.
Quote:
I would not want to spend more than $100-$200 for this.
Many of the interfaces in that list are in or around that price range and will do what you need them to do. (firewire solo, MobilePre USB, etc)
Quote:
Also, I could exchange my Pro Tools for the regular LE version and use some other hardware.
Usually, once software has been opened you cannot return or exchange it. Pro Tools LE would come with the necessary audio interface (You actually buy the interface, and the software comes with it for free).
Quote:
I could also use some software other than Pro Tools if it does the same job.
There are tons of DAW software out there that can handle the task, but you are still going to need an audio interface of some kind; something to convert the audio from your guitar or vocals or whatever into digital signals, and then from digital signals to analog audio output
(speakers/headphones).
Quote:
My main goal here is to use my Axiom to control programs like NI Absynth, NI Battery, FL Studio, etc.,
Right, OK... but how are those instruments and programs supposed to produce audio? What audio interface are you using?
Quote:
record my classical guitar,
Again, how exactly would you do this with just the Axiom? Where would you plugin a microphone? Or a direct in from the electronics in the guitar (if any)? You need an audio interface.
Quote:
and compose/mix/master using Pro Tools or some similar mixing software.
What do you think?
I think you have good intentions, but need to do a lot more research into the subject. There are tons of software packages out there that will do what you need to do (Cubase, Sonar, Reaper, and especially Pro Tools), but all of them are going to require that you have an audio interface of some kind. Many of those other packages can use the standard cheap soundcard built into most computers, but Pro Tools requires specific audio hardware; the M-Audio devices in the list I already gave you for Pro Tools MPowered, and Digidesign devices (MBox, MBox 2, Mbox 2 Mini, Mbox 2 Pro, 003, 003R) for Pro Tools LE.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:55 PM

Right on. Thanks for the thorough reply.
So I'm looking at the M-Audio Fast Track Pro (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...kPro-main.html). It's about $160 on Amazon, and would allow me to plug-in my Axiom, guitar, and mic and keep my Pro Tools M-Powered software. This look like a good choice to you?
Thanks again for the help.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:37 PM

Fast track pro is a decent beginner interface.

The axiom has USB output so you don't need to plug it into the interface.

It connects independently.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:02 PM

What he said.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:07 AM

If your looking for guitar/mic imputs for an interface, check out the Black Box, it what I use. The fast tracks work well, but keep in mind you need vitual effect software for sound, just like your midi. Black Box has them (amp sims, effects all built in), plus an input for an XLR mic. You can get one brand new with a pedelboard for under $200.00