Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2014, 12:03 PM

Default Clock… again =(

Hi guys, it's me (again).
Again, I'm fighting the clock I can not synchronize with the signal AES.
It was like this:
192 (1) as the master clock - 8 channels adat ----> Mixer Ramsa DA-7
192 (2) as a slave clock - 8 channel TDIF ------> Mixer Ramsa DA-7

Two 192 interfaces are clocked via BNC
192 (1) clock output -------> 192 (2) clock input & 192 (2) clock output -------> 192 (1) clock input.
Everything worked perfectly!

When I decided add a third interface and get extra 8 AES channels to mixer, I could not do it
I clocked it like existing ones (loop clocking).
192 (1) clock output -------> 192 (2) clock input & 192 (2) clock output -------> 192 (3) clock input & 192 (3) clock output -------> 192 (1) clock input.
But no sound in mixer from AES channels. Adat & tdif sounds ok, adat and tdif slots marked "lock" in mixer's screen, but aes slot marked "unlock".
I think maybe my mixer need an extra BNC-sync especially for AES channels?
192 (1) clock output -------> 192 (2) clock input & 192 (2) clock output -------> Mixer clock input & Mixer clock output -------> 192 (1) clock input.
Now mixer is clocked through adat. If I plug it in to the clock loop BNC like interfaces? Now mixer synchronized through adat and sounds well.
Or plug mixer to x256 clock?
Old 05-29-2014, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Clock… again =(

You must not have any other boxes in the loop sync, besides Digidesign/Avid HD interfaces. That's a rule #1. Every other box needs to be clocked from the ext.clock output.

Now I'm not sure, because I don't use TDIF, but I suspect that setting one of the interfaces to TDIF makes the ext.clock run a 256x superclock. I don't know whether it makes *all* interfaces output superclock or just that one. But in any case, you need to know if your digital devices require normal (1x) clock or the superclock (256x). Once you've sorted that out, you know what to do:

1) run wordclock from ext.clock of the interface that uses TDIF to all boxes that require the 256x superclock
2) run wordclock from ext.clock of the interfaces that DO NOT USE TDIF to all boxes that require 1x normal clock
3) in case the boxes requiring normal clock don't get lock, split the loop sync which always outputs 1x normal clock. DO NOT put the other boxes to the loop, but instead use a passive T-splitter and "steal" the word clock from there.

Then report back.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:14 PM

And don't forget termination...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-29-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
And don't forget termination...
Yep. Passive splitting and forgetting termination drop signal level so things just might barely work or barely not work because either or both of these... BUT, wordclock is a digital signal so as long as the signal is "good enough" things keep working -- just that you don't ever know how close to disaster you're working, it just either works or not.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:22 PM

Thank you!
I did everything as you wrote. Rechecked everything again, thought again, and decided that your diagram is correct. Everything SHOULD work. Adat and TDIF work fine, AES does not work.
I did a few more experiments with equipment and connections, and came to a simple conclusion: the mixer's AES-board is faulty. Some malfunction in board. I'm sure this on 95%!
I have a Solomonic decision: I just replace the wrong AES-board to the TDIF-board. This format is already running, there is no reason to reinvent the wheel).

Thank you very much for your advice!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yep. Passive splitting and forgetting termination drop signal level so things just might barely work or barely not work because either or both of these... BUT, wordclock is a digital signal so as long as the signal is "good enough" things keep working -- just that you don't ever know how close to disaster you're working, it just either works or not.

Word clock is TTL not a digital audio signal

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

ÒÓ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 06-10-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
Word clock is TTL not a digital audio signal
I said digital signal, not audio.