How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2011, 08:52 AM

Default Sudden CPU overload

Hi,

I have this weird problem with my Pro Tools 9.

I load a project, I have a fair amount of tracks but nothing to radical and a fair amount of plug-ins but still nothing to radical. After 20 minutes I get this message a-la "CPU overload, increase buffer size or remove some plug-ins"

I had buffer on maximal and as I checked my CPU usage in Pro Tools its around 20% all though system CPU is less.
So I tested it. I loaded a fair amount of tracks and put it on loop, around 40 minutes nothing happened and the CPU was around 2%, added 4 common and not that power hungry plug-ins on every track and looped it again (CPU was at this point around 20%). About 20 minutes later I got this message again and like always it worked slow afterwards. But the CPU levels in Pro Tools were still around 20% so it seem that it has a sudden increase of CPU at times.

Here is what I did to try to resolve the issue:

- double checked the buffer size and it is at maximum
- Checked that my playback engine was NOT on Pro Tools Aggregate output but on Built-in output
- Checked my Audio Midi options on System and it was set to BI output
- updated the system

The amount of tracks and plug-ins worked fin in PT8 but its horrific in PT9 all though the CPU is around 20% which is not that much.

So, what should I do to resolve this sudden increase of CPU in PT9 so I can work normally.

Hope you guys can help.
Cheers!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Sudden CPU overload

I think we can help after you give us some info. Like your OS version, PT version, computer CPU, drives attached, memory, stuff like that.

Have you checked to make sure all plug-ins are current?

What troubleshooting have you already done as listed on:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=54888
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:05 PM

Same thing just happened to me.. I can't even pass signal anymore. Been meaning to switch back to from leopard to lion anyway, now that PT is supported by Lion. Ill see if this helps any.. Good luck, let me know if you get anywhere, I've been at a stand still for about 45 minutes now, tried everything I could think of.
Email: [email protected]
Old 08-25-2011, 07:07 AM

Upon switching switching to Lion I didn't have that error anymore. Although I did come into contact with the pause play glitch.. Not quite sure how it got initiated, but after a bit of a search, I found that it was Task Manger > Drop Down Menu on the right > Pause During playback... Why that option is even there? I'm sure Ill Laugh when I end up figuring it out.