Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2013, 02:03 AM
LiquidSonics

Default Re: Plans for VST Adapter Support in Pro Tools 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnie View Post
Hmmm, ask your developer... I already asked two of them for develop a AAX (32 or 64 bit)

Response 1:
Yes, but the release date is unknown and highly depends on Avid, which is extremely slow and unresponsive.

Response 2:
We would, but contacting Avid as a dev for support is nearly useless. Depends on them.

I don't think its the dev's fault that there are just a few cross-platform Plugins.
Just my two cents.
I'm not sure who's comments these are, it's a shame that's their experience, but for the sake of balance I thought it was worth me saying it's the opposite of my experience. While developing Reverberate for AAX I found the Avid developer forum to be well supported by Avid from a technical perspective and that commercial/business matters and communications as regards AAX were pretty transparent usually with notice of up-coming changes. Quite the opposite of the more open specs I am used to working with. Hopefully this isn't seen as sycophantic in a thread started by an Avid employee, but it would be a shame if potential devs only heard about the bad experiences and were put off unnecessarily.

Last edited by LiquidSonics; 06-11-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnie View Post
Hmmm, ask your developer... I already asked two of them for develop a AAX (32 or 64 bit)

Response 1:
Yes, but the release date is unknown and highly depends on Avid, which is extremely slow and unresponsive.

Response 2:
We would, but contacting Avid as a dev for support is nearly useless. Depends on them.

I don't think its the dev's fault that there are just a few cross-platform Plugins.
Just my two cents.
i asked one developer not necessarily on the vst wrapper issue but about porting to AAX in general and here's what they have to say

"Studio Devil Guitar Amp Technology
We are testing AAX now, but we do not plan to release AAX soon. Avid is starting to charge annual fees for each plugin and this will force us to raise the prices of our plugins for AAX only, and we don't want to do that...hopefully, Avid makes a change to their policies, but it doesn't look like they will...it really sucks for plugin users, because protools users are going to lose out on a lot of plugins that are already out there...we will do AAX next year sometime, but not soon."
so we have to wait longer + pay a higher price if the developers decides to go through

Pro Tools 11.2
Pro Tools 10.3.9
REAPER

MPTK2
ProFire 2626
Benchmark DAC1
Neumann KH 120 A
Avid Artist Mix
ASUS Sabertooth Z77, Intel i7-3770K CPU OC'[email protected], 32 Gigs RAM
Mac OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks

Old 06-11-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southboundloco View Post
i asked one developer not necessarily on the vst wrapper issue but about porting to AAX in general and here's what they have to say

"Studio Devil Guitar Amp Technology
We are testing AAX now, but we do not plan to release AAX soon. Avid is starting to charge annual fees for each plugin and this will force us to raise the prices of our plugins for AAX only, and we don't want to do that...hopefully, Avid makes a change to their policies, but it doesn't look like they will...it really sucks for plugin users, because protools users are going to lose out on a lot of plugins that are already out there...we will do AAX next year sometime, but not soon."
so we have to wait longer + pay a higher price if the developers decides to go through
Hi,

I read here that they fee is $500 per company a year and it doesn't sound that much to me however, If Avid is charging any additional fee per plugin I can see it becoming expensive for smaller companies

I hope that isn't a huge sum aswell as hoping that the Developers have a good dialog with Avid in that regard so smaller developers can afford to jump into the AAX scene without having to worry about hefty fees in the beginning

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-12-2013, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hi,

I read here that they fee is $500 per company a year and it doesn't sound that much to me however, If Avid is charging any additional fee per plugin I can see it becoming expensive for smaller companies

I hope that isn't a huge sum aswell as hoping that the Developers have a good dialog with Avid in that regard so smaller developers can afford to jump into the AAX scene without having to worry about hefty fees in the beginning

Ahh, so the wrapper would have been a way for companies to bypass what is now a source of revenue for Avid - and, with it's current dismal financial state, every penny counts.

I'm sure Ed Gray will be jumping in soon to clarify these important matters, he is monitoring this thread for feedback after all.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southboundloco View Post
I also asked for native AAX 32 and 64 bits, not the wrapper.
$500/year for Avid for publishing AAX's? What a mess. They're breaking more and more holes to the sinking ship.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:42 AM

as i understand it....$500 per developer/year + addition charge per plugin/year... WTF!!!! I sure do hope this is not true

Pro Tools 11.2
Pro Tools 10.3.9
REAPER

MPTK2
ProFire 2626
Benchmark DAC1
Neumann KH 120 A
Avid Artist Mix

Old 06-12-2013, 03:11 AM

Not related to Avid, but I know that Matrox charges 7.500$ per year for their Matrox DSX SDK. So forgive me, but 500$ to me really does not seem overpriced.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:17 AM

Lol, any amount is overpriced. Does any DAW developer wan't any fee? I don't think so, they should be glad if anyone develop any plugins, ESPECIALLY if you have a propietary format. Sorry, no excuses for Avid.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion777 View Post
Not related to Avid, but I know that Matrox charges 7.500$ per year for their Matrox DSX SDK. So forgive me, but 500$ to me really does not seem overpriced.

No, not forgiven.
Compare AAX to VST, AU and MAS instead, then you'll have a relevant point.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion777 View Post
yeah tell that to the small time developers... $500 + additional per plugin

Pro Tools 11.2
Pro Tools 10.3.9
REAPER

MPTK2
ProFire 2626
Benchmark DAC1
Neumann KH 120 A
Avid Artist Mix