Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2017, 07:05 AM

Default Matching alternate list full

I'm trying to clean up an absolute mess of a session, where hundreds upon hundreds of clips live within just the one session. I'm trying to import alternate files, but the list of clips is so full that the Matching Alternate list hits the "menu overflow" at the bottom, so I can't scroll further than the letter G. Can this be extended somehow so I can see more?
Old 03-23-2017, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Matching alternate list full

Is it possible to divide the session up in to several smaller sessions, and organise from there?

Another option might be to sort the clip list alphabetically, select all, then drag the whole lot on to a new track (drop order set to L/R).

Then create a clip group encompassing each letter of the alphabet, and export the clip groups - then import in to a new session, one at a time, sorting the matching alternates as you go.

Worst case scenario, select all clips, and export, then import to new session, sorting as you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2017, 08:00 AM

Thanks. I'll give this a shot. Seems weird that the list would just quit like this, but I guess they had a reason. Cheers.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsaplenty View Post
Thanks. I'll give this a shot. Seems weird that the list would just quit like this, but I guess they had a reason. Cheers.
what is your screen resolution set at ??

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 03-23-2017, 06:37 PM

Default Matching alternate list full

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
what is your screen resolution set at ??

Ah, could be - I misinterpreted the OP as saying that PT was throwing up an error message, due to the large number of clips.

@ OP : have you tried simply using the search function in the clip list?

You could type in the letter A, and the clip list would show only the clips beginning with A.

Deal with those clips, then clear the search, and put the letter B etc etc.

It may not help, if you still end up with a huge selection of alternates for each clip (they may not even bear any relation to the clip you're looking at alternates for, if they simply happen to have matching criteria - take 2's snare track would match take 2's kick track, but you wouldn't want to mix them up).

In the end, although it's long winded, you may simply have to thin the herd of available alternates, by splitting the session in to smaller mor manageable sessions, before sorting, and then recombining for a final round of sorting.

Hopefully someone will come back with a better solution - might be worth asking in the Post sub forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Carl Kolchak; 03-23-2017 at 06:58 PM.