Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2017, 04:36 PM

Default Re: White Noise from Behringer U-Phoria Um2

I haven't had an issue with delay in RX-5 as of now. From what I can see it processes the audio and applies that edit to the waveform, rather than during live playback. This is a bit of a disadvantage for other plugins though, and something I was about to ask about. Is there a way to hear the effect the plugins are having on the audio before you render them like in most DAWs? Having to undo, adjust, and re render each time i adjust a limiter, EQ, etc, is pretty slow.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:38 PM

Well, I'm afraid non of these incredible features will be of any benefit. I can't believe this, both both saving and exporting the files are disabled in the trial version. This is a huge disappointment, I had such high hopes for this program and learned a lot about it. I suppose even if RX-5 is out, I've still learned a lot from this process. I'm back to square 1, so let me know if you have any more suggestions for good software.

Thanks again!
Old 03-23-2017, 01:27 AM

No processing in Pro Tools affect the actual audio file, it always makes a new copy so you can always go back. Every plugin has a bypass button so you can A/B

I'd recommend asking a forum member. Someone offered you already right? I would but I'm too busy to help you right now.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:40 AM

I d'loaded the file from DropBox and will take a listen today.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:00 AM

PM me an email address, so I can send the Drop Box link to you.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:25 AM

I see several bands of noise in your files. There are two, narrow hi-freq bands that seem unusual to me; one @ 16.5 kHz up to 17.6 kHz (approx.) and another from 20 kHz up to about 21.8 kHz.

Then, there is some widespread noise starting a about 6 kHz that goes down to DC, and gets louder from 1.5 kHz down to as low as I can see. That stuff could be room noise and air handling, with perhaps some electronic stuff in there (who knows?).

But the stuff at the higher frequencies is in two narrow bands and that seems unusual to me...
Old 03-23-2017, 10:51 AM

Hi StudioStuff!

Thanks for the PM. I'll Private message you the email address. I'm in the Rocky Mountain area too, so we're on the same time zone. I really appreciate you taking personal time to help out like this, it makes a big difference.

Those bands of noise probably would have been introduced by the equipment, we do have a good recording space setup (barring the occasional freight train). It's also a very dead area, so the thin sound I believe is due to the distance of the mic. I had this setup tailored to the ACX recommended setup, but our $75 in equipment has turned out to need very specific setup to get a decent recording. While I now have that ideal setup figured out, it doesn't help me much as this recording is already done.

I would love to purchase the RX-5 software as well, but given the $350 price tag, I would like to upgrade the recording equipment to the Focusrite Studio Bundle first. Hopefully, that way I wouldn't need as much corrective software. I know what you mean by not understanding how I could survive without RX-5, I thought the same thing about myself years ago when I was able to move to Photoshop after doing the same free software thing I am now with graphic programs. Once to finally get to the point where you can make the jump, you can't turn back

Having discovered I can't use the RX-5 trial, I've been experimenting with Audacity and several other DAWs. The poor-mans solution Ive been using for the past few months has been using 2-3 DAWs in order to get the feature set I need LOL. It's actually turned out alright, but this evil noise is harder to deal with.

If those bands are relatively specific frequencies, would I be able to dip them out using an Equalizer with a high Q?

Last edited by Loyal Apple Geek; 03-23-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal Apple Geek View Post
Hi StudioStuff!

...so the thin sound I believe is due to the distance of the mic.

If those bands are relatively specific frequencies, would I be able to dip them out using an Equalizer with a high Q?
I don't believe that the "thin bands" of noise I mentioned would be due to "the distance to the mic". They look as though they are somewhat frequency specific and my guess is they may be some not-very-loud radio frequency interference.

Those bands are high enough in the spectrum that one may be able to make some improvement with notch filtering, but that would not be my first choice as there is also quite a bit of broad band noise (that is also not too loud) that occupies the spectrum from 6 kHz and continuing all the way down to DC.

Good luck, and give me a shout if I can help with anything else in the future.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:58 PM

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't mean the those high bands, I meant the overall way the sound was presented (as in not deep, full, and rich). That info you gave me has already proven handy. I've recently tried the notch filtering, but like you said, not the best option. It makes the narrator sound like a warbler. I'm checking out that file now...

P.S. This is the edited post, my apologies for the ridiculous number of typos in the first :)

Last edited by Loyal Apple Geek; 03-23-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:40 PM

The only reason restoration software is a must for post guys is because we are often at the mercy of other people's recordings on equipment we've no control over and variable skillsets. But when we get hired we're expected to fix it. If you know your only going to be working on your own recordings then it would be better to invest in better recording gear.