Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2017, 12:19 PM

Default Add more punch to acoustic guitar rhythm???

i dont have a way of posting a sample at the moment, so i'll try my best to describe it. sorry in advanced.. the acoustic guitar (rhythm) track is almost a "galloping", "boom chica boom" rhythm (mostly low strings) with very subtle palm muting.. i need to add punch in it.. it sounds TOO smooth and fluid, i need more attack on the punch parts, more 'umf' in it... i was thinking using the same approach i would use for a kick drum for more punch.. any other thoughts??? I'm sorry again for not being able to post a sample, i tried my best to describe it in words, hopefully it helped...

Pro Tools 12.7 (Student/Teacher Card and iLok) (ALL Stock plug ins; Never purchased any. (got Pro tools software through schooling))

Steinburg ur22 MKii (2 audio input; 2 instrument input; MIDI in, MIDI out)

Sterling audio MX5" Monitors (2)[/FONT][/FONT]
Old 03-13-2017, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Add more punch to acoustic guitar rhythm???

Seeing as you have a lot of threads asking for all kind of ideas the best way would be to look at Youtube and Groove3 where you can look at videos and follow the actions made instead of you and us here trying to make guitar sounds by typing

That is my advice and then when you know what is what you can ask for finetuning stuff here.

Good Luclk

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 03-13-2017, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Add more punch to acoustic guitar rhythm???

Re-record the part and mic the guitar properly would be my suggestion(I mean "properly" to achieve the sound you want. Maybe by adding a second mic just behind your strumming hand to get the "thump" of the palm muting).

Another trick that might help is to duplicate the track and then EQ the duplicate to death, kill everything above maybe 150 Hz(AIR Kill EQ?) and add that to what you have. I have seen engineers duplicate acoustic tracks even 3-4 times and do radical stuff to each to bring out certain things, and then blend them all together(in the end, if it sounds right, it doesn't really matter how you got there)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave