Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-30-2008, 08:04 PM

Default Second hand G5 for Pro Tools HD 7.4.2

We've got an HD2 Accel setup with Pro Tools HD 7.4.2.
We've currently been running it on a dual 2ghz G5, but are looking to purchase a extra secondhand computer so we can run Logic and Pro Tools on each.

Are there any models of G5 that are more favourable? What would be the minimal specs to run Pro Tools? We'll be using a Focusrite LiquidMix and a UAD-1 card with it too if that matters.
If you need any more info just ask.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Second hand G5 for Pro Tools HD 7.4.2

i would say just get yourself one of the last generation intel quad towers (i believe they're quad 2.66). I've seen them blown out at stores for as little as $1695. They blow the G5s away and you really need that horsepower if you're going to run Logic on there.

You'll be able to run Leopard on there as well. They're just much better computers.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:04 AM
Avid

I would recommend an Intel Mac as well - I've seen used or refurbs for as little as $1k. Intel processors will give you significantly better plug-in performance and will have more longevity and compatibility as far as the OS is concerned.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:44 AM

plus many of the used "liquid cooled" G5's are springing leaks, taking out the power supply and sometimes corroding the motherboard.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:51 AM

Just a heads up on an Intel Mac which runs Logic * with PT great, there are a few issues regarding VI's. Spectrasonics Atmosphere and trilogy are not being developed for intel , and we are still waiting for the replacement "Omnisphere". Similarly all East West Libraries that play through Kompakt players are incompatible and must be played through Kontakt which you will need to purchase. Additionally there is an issue with Logic's GUI slowing down when Kontakt is in use (3-6 seconds to instansiate a plug in , channel strip, or routing change, arrrgh!) , and Kontakt because its designed to be used as a single or dual instance only multi sampler requires you to use various libraries within a multi sampleer and set up seperate outputs for them (only the stereo or 8xstereo/8xmono version of Kontakt works with LP8.0.2). Aside from that I agree that a quad intel way is the way to go if you can tolerate those inconveniences, mostlly because the PPC Quads dont seem to really function as quads. I frequently have had my clients reduce their RTAS processor settings to two from four for improved performance.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:04 PM

thanks for all the replies.

yes i would prefer an intel mac too, but due do budget restrictions its not possible just now. the thing is too that I don't have the PCIe HD cards so would also need to upgrade those if moving to intel
Old 10-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Avid

In that case, I would just say avoid the liquid cooled models and get the fastest model (other than those) that you can afford.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
In that case, I would just say avoid the liquid cooled models and get the fastest model (other than those) that you can afford.
How do I tell which ones are liquid cooled? Is there a site that has specs on all that stuff?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:57 PM

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=8212135
Old 10-02-2008, 03:50 PM

Everymac.com also has a lot of information on these models.

The dual 2.3 ghz (not dual core) is the fastest model G5 without liquid cooling.