How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2018, 10:54 PM

Default Beat detector

Hi folks,
in some things I am still absolute beginner.
This time: Beat detector.
I got an audio file containing a solo violin playing together with a more percusive instrument - the latter starts playing only in the 3rd measure.
There is much agogics in that piece, besides an accellerando.
I mark the audio clip in PT, open the beat detector, enter the meter 3/4, contains quavers, with the entire file to be analysed.
After that I click "generate", the samples to remain in original position.
The beat detector however returns to me considerable tempo changes in places where there are none in the audio.
I hoped it would help if I add manually some warp markes where I know the next measure should start, but I do not get them reducing the arbitrarily happening tempo changes.
I wish to sync Boom to it, which behaves wildly according to those changes, nothing is ever synched.
I must be doing something wrong.
Please update me
Old 04-29-2018, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Beat detector

That happens when the selection is not in a bar that ends with 0. Use Bars and Beats as a guide and select only a few bars to be processed at the time.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:33 PM

The thing is, I have this audio file without any steady percussion. Who to find out bars there? In some places the detector works fine, but in others not.
I do not quite get the key to this. Is there a detailed "how to" clip in YouTube? If so, do you know the link to it, please? I saw some, but i feel I am missing some important point.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:16 AM

Give this video tutorial a try. It gives you a pretty good idea of how to use Beat Detective.

System Details
Old 05-01-2018, 12:31 PM

Thankx. I'll watch and tell you if it helped.
However, this is a vid about synching drums. As I said, some of the music in my audio is quite well in rhythm, but with little percussive elements. However, I shall see, I think I got something wrong and that's why I can't go on.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Give this video tutorial a try. It gives you a pretty good idea of how to use Beat Detective.
Ok I watched this, but my setting is inversed to this one: The live recording is first, the drums are to be added by "Boom", so Boom must follow the beat that is in the live audio.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:37 AM

Beat Detective locates transient spikes in the audio file and adds markers. You can see the markers if you set the track to polyphonic elastic audio and warp view. Because legato violin transient notes are less defined, PT may not be able to identify the timing of the violin notes, and therefore not be able to determine a tempo. If the tempo of this track is relatively steady, one could manually add markers at the downbeat of each measure, and then manually enter tempo changes as needed to the beginnings of measures. Elastic audio is for changing the timing of the clip, so be careful not to change that. You would only use the warp feature to add markers that beat detective couldn’t find. With the downbeat markers visible in the clip, you can align them with the measures grid. The measures will expand or shrink depending on the tempo, which could change at the beginning of each measure, if needed, until the measures grid lines up with the downbeat markers in the audio clip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-07-2018, 12:57 PM

For a violin you may want to look at Warp Speed or elastic audio. Beat Detective is great on drums but it may not be best suited for your situation.

YMMV

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 05-07-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
For a violin you may want to look at Warp Speed or elastic audio. Beat Detective is great on drums but it may not be best suited for your situation.

YMMV
True, also Melodyne
Old 05-09-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
True, also Melodyne
Good point. I have a stripped down version of Melodyne that came free with PTHD a while back. I'm not sure if vanilla users have the license as well.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/