Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-06-2009, 11:52 AM

Default Re: 8.01 bugs

I've done all possible hardware-checks...all my hardware is just fine.
Thrashed prefs and databases several times and even reinstalled 8.01....no result.

Disabling DSP cache will not solve problem
There's no connection in trackcount or incompatible plugins ( digi techsupport utility tell me all plugs are fine)
Little sessions, big sessions...they all crash on close...
Its evident to me that problems have started since i updated to 8.01
For sure...8.0.1 sucks and i'm going to downgrade to 8.0cs3 as soon as i'm able to.I'm done !

cheers
Old 10-06-2009, 12:36 PM

i have tried everything today at work and still crash on close.
i don't even know if i can go back to 8.0.cs3 cause i updated so many plugs.

between crashing and dealing with the scrolling issue i'm not getting a warm fuzzy feeling at all.
i have unplugged drives/repaired permissions/ran digi test. nothing helps.

Digi, ya gotta weigh in on this one.

zeeman
Old 10-06-2009, 01:07 PM

PT HD 8.01 still sucks with Expansion Chassis HD!!!!
DIGI - please solve problems with this device in last supported version.

Today - the best working version with Expansion Chassis - 7.4.2 cs3.

Mac Pro 8-core. 6 gig Ram, PT HD 8 cs3, Expansion Chassis HD, 1 process, 3 Assel cards, 192 interface, PT LE 8 with Imac 24 & MBOX2 pro.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:04 PM

Is this a bug or is this a setting ? On 8.0.1

When I click a track to export it then hit command shift K to export it, before it would just export that track (asking me where to of course). Now I have to open (slide open) the files track list (to the right of the session) and make sure the track I selected in the session is the same one selected in there. More than often it's not. I keep forgetting and I keep exporting the wrong tracks.. It's so damn annoying.

Another annoyance...

When I turn on or off groups in the mix window, they used to follow in the edit window. Now they don't even though I have Link Edit/Mix Groups Enables. It used to be linked. When I switched in edit or mix, it would follow.
It' driving me crazy.

Otherwise, of course I got the crashes on some songs, I reboot and it launches fine, then ext day same thing. I'm just getting used to it. So are my clients... Digidesign for how long ?

Oh and I still have my record problem where 1 out of 10 times when I go into record, it just doesn't go, it plays... I contacted Tech Support over the phone, siad they'd get back to me, still haven't 2 weeks later. I gave up.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:14 AM

Another one to add here...we have three HD rigs in our facility running 8 and all report that with video in a session, you hit the space bar and about 75% of the time the video will play. The other times it just doesn't seem to catch.
This morning I'm having to hit play 4 and 5 times at times for the video to go.

Calgon E take me away.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:38 AM

Today i trashed 8.0.1 and it's prefs.
Reinstalled 8.0cs3
Still crashing on sesssion closedown

i don't understand because i'm convinced the 8.0cs3 was flawless

waiting for my copy of diskwarrior4, it's my last hope....
Old 10-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Avid

We've identified a possible issue with ReVibe when using DSP caching that could cause crashes.

If you disabled DSP cache and still encounter problems, it's something else.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mano View Post
I've done all possible hardware-checks...all my hardware is just fine.
On what specific info are you basing this assumption? What tests have you done, exactly?

If you used a software utility to test RAM, I can pretty much guarantee it's not going to show you if RAM is bad. I have yet to see a RAM test utility come even close to being 100% (or even 10%!) accurate. I, personally, wouldn't rely on them, ever.

You should definitely try swapping/replacing RAM - if everything you're stating is correct, RAM is highly suspect.

Quote:
Disabling DSP cache will not solve problem
It will if the problem is the possible bug I described in my previous post.

Quote:
There's no connection in trackcount or incompatible plugins ( digi techsupport utility tell me all plugs are fine)
I'm not quite clear what you're saying here - the utility doesn't 'tell' anything, it just displays the version numbers of the plug-ins. You have to manually compare those against the Plug-In Compatibility Grid.

Is that what you did? Could you please post your installed plug-in version list, just so we can double check?

Quote:
Little sessions, big sessions...they all crash on close...
Its evident to me that problems have started since i updated to 8.01
For sure...8.0.1 sucks and i'm going to downgrade to 8.0cs3 as soon as i'm able to.I'm done !
There is nothing in any of my experience with 8.0.1 that indicates it's less stable than 8.0cs3 and much of my data indicates it fixes several issues and is more stable, by a considerable margin. The problems you're describing sound more like a configuration issue than a dodgy version of Pro Tools. Let's see if we can work out what's going wrong - if you can supply the info asked for, including a complete system profile (drives, attached peripherals, etc), I'll be able to help narrow down the cause of your instability.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrusz View Post
Another one to add here...we have three HD rigs in our facility running 8 and all report that with video in a session, you hit the space bar and about 75% of the time the video will play. The other times it just doesn't seem to catch.
This morning I'm having to hit play 4 and 5 times at times for the video to go.

Calgon E take me away.
In looking at your system specs, I see several plug-ins that are not compatible, or are questionable:

Elastik.dpm Version 1.5.2.3 (questionable)
MOTU Ethno Instrument (very questionable)
MachFive2 RTAS.dpm 2.0.1 (very questionable)
Phoenix.dpm 2.1x3 (outdated, install version 2.4.3 or higher)
SteinwayRTAS.dpm 7.3x0 (incompatible, as it's based on a known incompatible old Kontakt player. You should download the Kontakt Player 3.5 from NI and use that to load the Steinway libraries)

You also have both the Stereo and Stereo Dithered mixers in your plug-ins folder. You should remove one or the other - having both in there can cause instability.

Do you know which version of the TC MasterX3 plug-in you have installed? It doesn't show in your list - you need 4.0.

VW_PCM96 - I don't recognize this plug-in. Can you tell me the manufacturer?

I'm assuming you're not using any of the plug-ins in the Plug-Ins Unused folder, yes? There are several incompatible ones in there as well...

Quote:
Core
Accel
Dual UW SCSI card (ATTO I think)
Dual Monitor Card
This card order seems wrong - the Core should be next to the monitor card, then the Accel, then the ATTO.

I also need to know which specific ATTO model this is - using a compatible one is critical to stability.

Given the number of incompatible plug-ins and other configuration issues I'm seeing, it's likely that all your problems stem from them, rather than 8.0.1 itself.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B. View Post
Is this a bug or is this a setting ? On 8.0.1

When I click a track to export it then hit command shift K to export it, before it would just export that track (asking me where to of course). Now I have to open (slide open) the files track list (to the right of the session) and make sure the track I selected in the session is the same one selected in there. More than often it's not. I keep forgetting and I keep exporting the wrong tracks.. It's so damn annoying.
Most likely a setting - Preferences>Editing - make sure 'Region List Selection..' and 'Edit Selection..' options are checked.

Quote:
When I turn on or off groups in the mix window, they used to follow in the edit window. Now they don't even though I have Link Edit/Mix Groups Enables. It used to be linked. When I switched in edit or mix, it would follow.
Are they possibly set to Follow Globals and, if so, what are your Global settings?

Quote:
Oh and I still have my record problem where 1 out of 10 times when I go into record, it just doesn't go, it plays... I contacted Tech Support over the phone, siad they'd get back to me, still haven't 2 weeks later. I gave up.
Can you give me your full name, so I can look up what happened with this?