Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2016, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Distortion during playback of recorded tracks!! HELP!?

Nothing obviously horrible in the Sandra report. I'm going to rely on you having checked the DRAM timing specs match what the motherboard/CPU really wants.

But as I already said, the problem will almost certainly be related to the lack of playback engine seizes available. Did you try unisntalling and reinstalling the driver?

And you were able to record OK when you moved the 003R elsewhere? With the exact same mics and the exact same mic cables? Did the playback engine buffer sizes show up correctly on the other system you tried this on? What driver version was that running and what driver version is the problem system running? What exact version of Pro Tools were you running in both cases?

And confirm you hear this distorting consistently on playback? And while tracking? Can you see stuff messed up visually in the waveform? What happens if you track silence?
Old 01-28-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Nothing obviously horrible in the Sandra report. I'm going to rely on you having checked the DRAM timing specs match what the motherboard/CPU really wants.

But as I already said, the problem will almost certainly be related to the lack of playback engine seizes available. Did you try unisntalling and reinstalling the driver?

And you were able to record OK when you moved the 003R elsewhere? With the exact same mics and the exact same mic cables? Did the playback engine buffer sizes show up correctly on the other system you tried this on? What driver version was that running and what driver version is the problem system running? What exact version of Pro Tools were you running in both cases?

And confirm you hear this distorting consistently on playback? And while tracking? Can you see stuff messed up visually in the waveform? What happens if you track silence?
Well first of all, my buddy was running a newer macbook pro with Pro tools 11 installed...but he also uses a 003 as his interface, but he would have mac drivers and not PC (which for me haven't been updated since 2011) I did take one of my mics and plugged it in to the 003 the same way its plugged in here...and it was perfect over there.

Yes I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver more than once and even re downloaded them from this site to make sure I had the correct file...

I am not even sure what the DRAM specs are to be honest, and would have to google that I guess...or ask my brother(He built the machine for me after researching on here)

The sound DOES NOT happen on regular playback of previously recorded tracks...I can open every old session and they play back perfect...I can mix or whatever...But if i make a new track and record something into any of those sessions, the new track has the distortion/buzz on it duing tracking and playback....If I record silence, its silence...

I'm leaning more and more towards getting into a newer interface now that I have a newer computer....I have a buddy bringing over his Focusrite Pro 26 this weekend to see how my computer reacts to that...I have my eye on a pro 40...
Old 01-29-2016, 02:00 AM

I get this also sometimes and have to restart pro tools. Do you have anything on your master stereo fader when this happens?
Old 01-29-2016, 07:20 PM

Well, this is gonna sound crazy, but the simple fix was adding a basic cheap 7.1 pci sound card to my machine!! Everything is working perfectly now...no noise no buzz..All playback buffer settings are back...It must have just not liked the on board sound being on while the 003 was connected.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:06 AM

Have you done all of the required optimizations for your version of PT and WIndows? See the "Additional Resources" tab at the top of this page and scroll down to Optimization Guides. I haven't had to check on the optimizations lately, but I believe one of them is to disable onboard audio on your computer. Even if you have "solved" the problem, you will benefit if you do all of the required optimizations.

Do you now have the option to set the playback engine size?

As Darryl Ramm suggested, check out your DRAM specs and timings using CPU-Z (free download). Then download your motherboard and cpu manuals to see what they specify. If you need to adjust the DRAM timings, that is probably a job left to someone with more technical knowledge (perhaps your brother if he is into computers).

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:48 AM

Known, but not documented by Avid, since PT 11, is to use your onboard soundcard for Windows sounds/audio and leave your interface for Pro Tools only.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-31-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Known, but not documented by Avid, since PT 11, is to use your onboard soundcard for Windows sounds/audio and leave your interface for Pro Tools only.

Cheers,
That is what I was doing, and have been for like 8 years..lol...I had even disabled the on board sound and tried that before thinking about just putting the stand alone pci sound card in...Just disabling on board sound did nothing. The problems still persisted. I was sitting here thinking about my old machine vs my new machine when it dawned on me that I also had old school pci sound card in that machine as well, rather than using the on board sound....that is what made me get a new one and try it.

And yes, I went through the whole list of Win 7 optimizations and completed everything that was relevant to my machine...I guess the 003 and on board sound just don't like each other....because even with the new pci sound card i can keep that enabled and run Pro Tools and the 003 fine with no problems...The only 2 things on my machine that use the 003 are Pro Tools and FL Studio...