Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2007, 10:45 AM

Default Ubuntu 7.10

I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 to a USB drive and I'm pretty impressed. Finally a Linux distro with some built in 3D components,

Very cool.

It won't appeal to the self proclaimed command line bigots or die hard kernel kompilers but the rest of us will like it.

If you were waiting to explore Linux this would be a good place to start.

Nice install too, Pick your language and time zone, set a user account and enjoy the show.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 10-15-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Ubuntu 7.10

I have recently set up a machine running Ubuntu Studio. If the audio world allowed me I would leave Microsoft, Apple and all their limiting nonsense right away.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:44 AM

I checked out Studio-64 and Ubuntu Studio. When Ubuntu studio catches up with 7.10 than things will very cool!

I knew you were looking at some Linux stuff Stiff so that was one of the reasons I posted.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 10-16-2007, 08:00 PM

hey guys, running 6.10 ubuntu-dapper at the moment on one of my boxes. Tempted to format and partition and put XP on one partition and the new ubuntu release on another and create a third spot for swapping files between the two. What's the driver support like in the new one? I hear its come a long way from my distro eh? had a heck of a time getting certain apps up and running on dapper and had to compile from source on a lot of them. what other audio related apps are you guys using on ubuntu so far? my fav is hyrdogen drums
Old 10-16-2007, 08:21 PM

Driver support..... well I've had it up on a MSI mATX board K8MMV and am happy to report that EVERYTHING seemed to be working fine.... AC97 sound, Radeon 1050 ETC. I have never been able to get any decent 3D stuff under Linux, so I cant tell you how nice it was to have it installed with the 3D graphics drivers and Comp vis Etc.

This was RC1 BTW I think it may have officially dropped today. I messed with Studio 64 about 6 months ago.

The good news is that Ardour is in the multimedia software repository and seem to have installed correctly.

I had to head out for about a week so I haven't had a chance to mess with it more.

But hey built in 3D, painless Ardour install and seemingly seamless support for my old desktop.

Cons, they seem to have dumbed it way down I'm guessing that you are going to have to install some app's like GParted and the like.

The good new is if you want that painless distro to put on grandmas email machine I think it just showed up. I'm pretty confident that you could recommend this to some one wanting to try Linux or some one that needed a desktop OS and they would be pretty happy.

I'll have to download the released version when I'm back home.

When UbuntuStudio or Studio64 releases with 7.10 it should be good. I assume the built in 3D will make it easier for those looking to do graphics and rendering.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 10-17-2007, 08:33 AM

thats cool, yeah successfully used knoppix, debian, and gentoo distro's for families "email machines" before and customized it a bit to look like windows and they don't know the diff. The current disto of 6.10 that I have on one of my boxes has the clear theme for Mac OSX too and I found a dock app by loading gdesklets in gnome and it works pretty cool. I think now that 7.10 is out though, that I am going to re-load that box and do some upgrading. Need my main XP box for audio/creative features, another XP install for various other purposes while the other box is tied up, my linux distro for various purposes, and I might load 2003 server on another partition if possible as I'm trying to get my MCSE for it before it drops in March..

I assume with 7.10 though that I'm going to have to do some of what I call "de-moron proofing" like you do in XP to remove all the non-needed stuff for those who can spin circles around GUI's in command line or dos.. let me know if you guys come across any more audio apps for 7.10 though. I haven't gotten a chance to do as much of a search as I'd like.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:58 PM

You know what? I actually built a new version of Ardour from code the other day. Because of Steinbergs strange license for VST support Ardour can't include it. You can however build it yourself. It was a bit of a pain but I think I pulled it off. I really wish Ardour supported VST natively though, would make it a better contender to all the other apps out there.

So sunburst, 7.10 is a big step up?

Thinking about trying to run Dyne:bolic on my MacBook at the moment!
Old 10-18-2007, 04:55 AM

Stiff: building from source eh? just gotta watch those sometimes caus there are buggy distro's out there of some apps. Mainly one called Pidgin that I use for chat on Ubuntu... I can't count how much code I had to edit to get that thing up and running on dapper, but maybe the new one will be different and I won't have to compile from source.. *shrugs* well, in the midst of re-setting up the box this morning. Will check back when its up and running.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:15 AM

Stiff I'm on the road this week so no I haven't had much of a chance, actually any chance to get back to 7.10.

I was mostly expressing my happiness at having working 3D

Charlie I assume you have checked out both 64 Studio and Ubuntu Studio. Both had a lot of "Creativity Apps" Oh and I'm almost positive that 7.10 installs Pidgin automatically.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 10-18-2007, 04:05 PM

...and of course REAPER is working great with WINE and CrossOver Linux. We just cant get the midi going yet. And yeah, Ubuntu is really getting to the point of being really user friendly for the average computer user...it even installs faster than....Vista!

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit