Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2003, 01:25 PM

Default Major Mac problems

I'm running 5.1 LE on a G4 1.25. A client brought in a PT session that was done in PT 6.1 on an HD system. I copied the folder to my drive then launched the session. The first odd thing that happened is it prompted me to locate the audio files folder even though it was right there in the folder with the session. Then it gave me some weird assertion error and froze (Unfortunately, I didn't right down the error #.) I then tried to reboot in Jaguar and open the session in PT LE 6.1. On reboot I was met with a question mark. Then I rebooted with the 9.2 system cd. I ran the disk first aid and it said the disk was fine. I rebooted once again; still the question mark. Then I zapped the PRAM; still the question mark. Now when I boot from either the 9.2 or Jaguar system cd, my mac doesn't even recognize the hard drive!

I'm at a loss of what to do. Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Major Mac problems

Couple of things...

First ... was the 6.1 session saved in 5 format? If not, you will have to do this first. We move a lot of sessions from 6 to 5 but they have to be saved in 5 format from the 6 session. There are some conversion limitations as well.

5 will not open a 6 session.

If you're still stuck you can spot the raw audio files into a new session in 6 HOWEVER you won't have any of the edits or active plugs. (long live consolidated and flattened sessions).

Good luck
Old 12-19-2003, 03:15 PM

DiskWarrior, saved my ***** in similar situations. Worth every penny.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:48 AM

Quote:
5 will not open a 6 session.
I don't think this is the case. I was under the impression that 5.1 and later could open anything saved in 6.x. There's still the normal 32 (or 24) track limitation in 5.x though.
Old 12-20-2003, 12:10 PM

Aux Send 1

I stand corrected ... you are right ... 5.1 will open a 6 session file directly (with limitations).
Old 12-20-2003, 12:41 PM

I found out that the other studio didn't specify PT to Save As 5.1 compatible version. This I believe is the source of all my problems. I've never seen a PT crash take down a whole system like this! I had no luck even seeing the drive in OS 9. Nothing mounted it--not FWB, Norton or TechTool. But when booting with the OS 10 cd, I am able to verify the drive with the disk utility (even repaired permissions there to). So now I am re-installing the os x software. This is my last hope before I buy DiskWarrior.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:33 PM

Re-installing OS X did the trick! It automatically updates the os 9 driver and everything is groovy!