Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2003, 11:15 AM

Default PT LE v6 and new 12" - Problems

ok, i know v6 is officially not cleared for compatibility, but i took the leap - extreme early adopter here.

well digi, any insight would be appreciated.

basically, i'm getting "pro-tools unexpectedly quit" constantly.

1) installed v6 PT on OS X 10.2.3 freshly, no other audio apps on machine. booted into it. it asked for registration #, everything fine so far. i created new project, still good. created 1 stereo track and two monos, still good. then i quit (to go home and play some more).

2) at home, tried to open new session. it gets to creating DAE something (sorry i forget what it was now) and then bam "unexpectedly quit". tried it several times more - same thing each time.

3) noticed the apple program "audi midi stup" was open. i didn't open it. PT must have opened it automatically. i took a look at it, didn't know really what i was looking at exactly and thought "why is this open?" and quit that program.

4) i decided to uninstall and re-install. that went ok, nothing eventful.

5) opened PT, authorized it and proceeded to create new project same as before. i then tried to import audio, selected about 15 sound files to import. (btw - i was set up for 48k/16bit .wav). it started to import and on the 3rd sound file bam - unexpectedly quit.

6) opened PT, no session, then quit PT - it unexpectedly quit when i was trying to quit!

7) i thought about all the possible causes. i tried eliminating all the peripherals (USB, ehternet), i tried different H/W buffer settings DAE settings. still no luck - still inexpectedly quits.

8) the only thing i haven't tried - not using the internal drive for the session. this just now occured to me. i will try it, but i don't have much faith.

9) oh, machine has 640mb of ram and plenty of space on internal drive.

i can't think of anything else that's pertinent.
thanks for any thoughts or insights on this. anybody who can speak about the relationship between "audio midi setup" and PT would be appreciated. this is all new territory for most of us, so any informed comments would be helpful to all.

lance brown
Old 02-09-2003, 11:17 AM

Default Re: PT LE v6 and new 12" - Problems

sorry i just realized that i forgot to say 12" powerbook 867 and using it with an mbox.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:26 AM

trash the PT prefs, and DAE if they exist (user/Library/Preferences/). Beyond that its hard to say. Consider 6.0 to essentially be "beta" software, especially with a computer that likely hasn't been tested. Welcome to the bleeding edge [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2003, 11:33 AM

did you log in as admin user prior to installing and using PT6?
Old 02-09-2003, 11:37 AM

yes i was an administrator when installing and using the software
Old 02-09-2003, 11:52 AM

nostatic - thank you very much. that seems to have got me back on the road without problems - so far. i'll report back at the end of the day with an update.

this OS X enviroment is so new to me, i wouldn't have known where to look for the prefs. it's funny how this would have been my 1st instinct in OS9, but i feel like a fish out of water now.

thanks again.

lance
Old 02-09-2003, 07:57 PM

just getting back as promised. everything has been working without any problems. i haven't checked recording yet, but operationally - importing, playback, editing, exporting are all good.

it's weird seeing background tasks at work. when you do fades, it calculates waveforms in the BG. so they just popin when there done, kind freaky at first. i thought there was something wrong (blank fade regions), but no, it's saving us time by allowing us to move on while waveforms are computed in the BG.

lance
Old 02-09-2003, 08:04 PM

Lance you are "the man of the moment" nice to hear the software is in the actual hands of a user... We all have hope.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1.25 Alu/1.5 ram/10.3.4
PTLE 6.4-002R-Live-Reason
Old 02-10-2003, 01:16 AM

LB,

I suggest you sell your laptop and get a G4 and a digi001. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2003, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CCash:
LB,

I suggest you sell your laptop and get a G4 and a digi001. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">just a regular comedian aren't ya. don't quit your day job, haha.

no, thankyou, i'd rather throw away a perfectly good setup, for a "better" one - one riddled with discovery (that's what we'll call it for now).