How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2013, 08:04 AM

Default fet req: preview toggle to suspend preview

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...79?submitted=1

I wish the preview soft-key wouldn't switch between preview and preview off but instead between preview and suspend preview. So preview off is a separate soft-key.
Countless times I spend time to set a plugin and then hit preview unintentionally and there's no way back to what I just set.
So I wish the hotkey would not toggle to preview off but suspend preview.

This would at least be a poor man's simulation of what the Harisson automation works like with it's genius separation between read and write buffers.

Plus a feature that recalls the last preview setting only for a selected track. Sort of the safety net after I turned off preview but I want to have the settings back again.

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ck/108294-3779

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 AM

Default Re: fet req: preview toggle to suspend preview

There is a Eucon command called "Supend Preview". Its the same as command click preview with the mouse does.

I use it all the time! Look for it!

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 04-29-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
There is a Eucon command called "Supend Preview". Its the same as command click preview with the mouse does.

I use it all the time! Look for it!
I know it's a separate key, hence my request (read it again). I want "preview" to switch between 'preview' and 'suspend preview' on the SAME key. At the moment the "suspend preview" is a separate key. I want "preview" to switch to "suspend" and not "off" because when you press that by accident all your tweaks are gone. Instead I want "preview off" to be a seperate key and not toggle between 'preview on' and 'off' because off sends your last settings into nirvana.

Ultimately the second request would be even better as it brings your last preview setting back after you have turned preview off. So probably easier to integrate and even more useful.

Frank.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:19 AM

That is essentially a Pro Tools request. EUCON commands are coded directly into the software. IF the software doesn't do it, the software programmer can't create a EUCON command to do something different.

Since none of the Avid controllers operate in the way that you are describing, I doubt we'll this functionality (although what you are saying operationally makes a lot of sense)
Old 04-30-2013, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_coffee View Post
That is essentially a Pro Tools request. EUCON commands are coded directly into the software. IF the software doesn't do it, the software programmer can't create a EUCON command to do something different.

Since none of the Avid controllers operate in the way that you are describing, I doubt we'll this functionality (although what you are saying operationally makes a lot of sense)
Well, Euphonix is AVID and there are many things PT can not do without an Artist controller attached (like auto-pop up a plugin when you select a track just to name one example) so be it PT or Euphonix or both doesn't really make a difference for me.

The request is essentially a suggestion to improve the PT/Eucon feature set.

Frank.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:58 AM

...all I'm saying is that if Avid were to implement the feature request you are suggesting, it would also affect ICON (D-Control and D-Command) because it would be a change to the Pro Tools software...
Old 04-30-2013, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_coffee View Post
...all I'm saying is that if Avid were to implement the feature request you are suggesting, it would also affect ICON (D-Control and D-Command) because it would be a change to the Pro Tools software...

Sure, why not? I know a lot of people who'd love an option to bring back the tweaks they just lost by turning off preview unintentionally.
If it works on every controller it's even better.

Frank.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Avid

I always wonder why some people want separate play and stop transport buttons, while others want the play button to toggle play/stop.

Guess that's why there is a preference for how the num pad works.

I think this falls in the same paradigm.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
I know it's a separate key, hence my request (read it again). I want "preview" to switch between 'preview' and 'suspend preview' on the SAME key. At the moment the "suspend preview" is a separate key. I want "preview" to switch to "suspend" and not "off" because when you press that by accident all your tweaks are gone. Instead I want "preview off" to be a seperate key and not toggle between 'preview on' and 'off' because off sends your last settings into nirvana.

I see, but once you hit the suspend preview, you hit it again and the preview is on again. So you can go on and off on the same key. I like it that way... Personal taste...

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0