Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2011, 09:34 PM

Default Avid ditched Scott Henderson! Why?

Apparently, Scott Henderson tried the Eleven Rack and wasn't happy with the 4x12 Greenback/SM57 simulation. He then offered to help them create a better simulation.

So Avid, instead of taking the opportunity to have such a widely respected guitarist helping them to improve a product that is marketed specifically for guitar, decided to simply ignore him. Freakin' genius!

Seriously, what's up with that? I suppose it's not too late to apologize and take up on the offer...

Quote:
Q: Scott do you think that we're going towards to the end of tube amps? i mean with so much evolution in modeling (check out fractal audio's axe-fx!!!) and only 2-3 remained factories around the world to built tubes do you think that in a 10 yrs period or something tube anps will not exist anymore?

Scott Henderson: I had Eleven here at my house and even though I got some good sounds from it, I couldn't get my personal tone. Actually I plan on working with Avid to make Eleven better, and they realize it's a work in progress. Maybe someday I will get my tone from it. Still, it still seems like science fiction when I think about selling my amps and speaker cabinets. (http://www.online-discussion.com/Sco...pic.php?t=1083)

Q: You mentioned a while back that you tried the 11rack and where working to get it to the point of usable for you, to get your tone, what's happening with that? is there a Henderson update in the future? it would be fun to see what a guy like you could do with the modeling? and as always we all know that tubes will not be replaced, I am mostly curious to what you use for practice at home to get a decent sound.

Scott Henderson: I don't want to rag on Avid, but I offered them the opportunity to sample my Kerry Wright 4x12 cab with brand new Greenbacks, in a perfectly tuned room with Broadway Acoustic panels, along with my expertise in properly micing a speaker cabinet. I won't brag about my playing, but I know how to mic a cabinet. The guys at Avid never took me up on my offer, so it's their loss. Whoever did the modeling of the 57 in Eleven totally [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ed it up and it's very fizzy sounding. Some of the other mics sound good, but the 57 is my favorite mic, so I can't get anywhere close to my personal tone with Eleven. I use the Pandora PMX-5 for composing and practicing. It doesn't have the dynamic range of Eleven or Axe FX, but it sounds fatter and closer to the sound of my mic'd cabinet for 1/4 the price. For more info on the PMX-5, check the Index under Gear. (http://www.online-discussion.com/Sco...pic.php?t=1145)
Old 06-19-2011, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Avid ditched Scott Henderson! Why?

I'm sure there are both sides to the story. Regardless, if we could use our own IRs it wouldn't even be an issue!
Old 06-19-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derker View Post
I'm sure there are both sides to the story. Regardless, if we could use our own IRs it wouldn't even be an issue!
IRs would be cool, but I would also like to be able to move the mic(s) around as I wish, like in Pod Farm 2.5, TH2, Amplitube 3, Metal Amp Room ect....

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Avid

This is all news to me. As for the 57, one factor is that we used a Unidyne III SM-57, which is a bit brighter than modern 57s. This mic was what EVH and countless other guitarists of the 60s and 70s used. Also, for any one looking for a darker 57, the SM-7 can work really well.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
IRs would be cool, but I would also like to be able to move the mic(s) around as I wish, like in Pod Farm 2.5, TH2, Amplitube 3, Metal Amp Room ect....
That would be cool, but I think those types of moveable mic simulation are algorithm based, as opposed to the convolution based cab/mic sim already on 11r. With libraries like Red Wirez, you can pretty much do that anyway even though it's not sweepable like the plugins you mentioned. Besides, if I'm not mistaken Pod Farm is a set selection of mics without any positioning options, except for a 57 off-axis setting. There is a room setting but I think that has more to do with early reflections than mic placement.

Funny that Chris doesn't seem to have any idea about this Scott Henderson thing. He's a sick guitar player who always uses primo gear, you'd think Avid would love to have him on board!
Old 06-20-2011, 12:49 AM

I loved this one: "I won't brag about my playing, but I know how to mic a cabinet".
You almost had a very big fish onboard@Avid; maybe try to contact him?
Old 06-20-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derker View Post
Funny that Chris doesn't seem to have any idea about this Scott Henderson thing. He's a sick guitar player who always uses primo gear, you'd think Avid would love to have him on board!
Are you talking about Scott Henderson the Forum Moderator at the Axe FX forum site?

Because if it is I urge Avid to not have anything to do with that .... person . Don't touch him. I already have him in my "Ignore List". The less I see of him the better.

And from that transcript it never said that Avid 'ditched' him - they should've - it said they never took him up on his offer. So GittarNerd, a little less time ranting, a little more readin'. And what an introduction to our litte forum that was your first post - you certainly made it a memorable one.

So how are you enjoying the 11R? Discuss

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 06-20-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
Are you talking about Scott Henderson the Forum Moderator at the Axe FX forum site?

Because if it is I urge Avid to not have anything to do with that .... person . Don't touch him. I already have him in my "Ignore List". The less I see of him the better.
Hey dude I think you might have confused Scott Peterson with Scott Henderson... they're different (very different!) people
Old 06-20-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend View Post
This is all news to me. As for the 57, one factor is that we used a Unidyne III SM-57, which is a bit brighter than modern 57s. This mic was what EVH and countless other guitarists of the 60s and 70s used. Also, for any one looking for a darker 57, the SM-7 can work really well.
It's not too late to mend that bridge Wouldn't hurt to have some big name acolytes, especially when they appear to be offering to help for free!

http://www.scotthenderson.net/
Old 06-20-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqlw View Post
Hey dude I think you might have confused Scott Peterson with Scott Henderson... they're different (very different!) people
Yep, I made a big mistake. But in any case the facts haven't changed, Avid never ditched him. If they had do you think you would say this:

"Actually I plan on working with Avid to make Eleven better, and they realize it's a work in progress".

Seems a bit silly then for GittarNerd to go off on a rant.

But if "Chris T" doesn't know anything about this it really is a moot point.

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP