Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 10:25 PM

Default VST Instruments in ProTools

Hi!

Can you tell me how to use VST instruments in ProToools? I´m coming from Cubase SX, there you just open a Miditrack, create a VST instrument and connect it to the Midi track.

It seems to me Pro Tools doesn´t have any VST Instuments or the ability to create some. Can sombody explain me how to do this?

P.S.: I´m gonna read the manual soon, please give me some time .
Old 07-23-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Re: VST Instruments in ProTools

FXpansion VST to RTAS Wrapper
Old 07-23-2007, 10:49 PM

What Cherry is saying, is that Protools natively does not support the VST format. But most VST plugs and instruments will work via the wrapper.

HOWEVER.... you'll have a more stable system if you stick to RTAS instruments.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:39 AM

I can't complain about system stability using the VST-RTAS wrapper - it's worked seamlessly for me.

At the risk of being a bit simplistic, can I suggest that the original poster might have just been asking how to make virtual instruments work in Pro Tools?

If so... Create a new instrument track. Make sure you can view the Instrument I/O (which controls where the MIDI information is routed) sections in whatever page of Pro Tools you're happy working in. Choose a virtual instrument from the first insert point on the instrument track (not the input or output selectors). Make sure that the MIDI part of your track is routed to the virtual instrument (sometimes it defaults, sometimes it doesn't) and record arm the track. Bring the fader up, play MIDI in and you should hear the instrument.

If any of this doesn't yet make sense, read the manual - Pro Tools is so much a better program when you do. There are plenty of subtle differences from other DAWs that will confuse and annoy you if not.

Also, go here:
http://badhabitstudios.com/help/prot...cs/softsynths/

... much excellent help available from spkguitar.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:56 AM

Im sorry but vst plugs via the wrapper is more stable than a lot of rtas plugs

brandy
Old 07-24-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I can't complain about system stability using the VST-RTAS wrapper - it's worked seamlessly for me.

At the risk of being a bit simplistic, can I suggest that the original poster might have just been asking how to make virtual instruments work in Pro Tools?

If so... Create a new instrument track. Make sure you can view the Instrument I/O (which controls where the MIDI information is routed) sections in whatever page of Pro Tools you're happy working in. Choose a virtual instrument from the first insert point on the instrument track (not the input or output selectors). Make sure that the MIDI part of your track is routed to the virtual instrument (sometimes it defaults, sometimes it doesn't) and record arm the track. Bring the fader up, play MIDI in and you should hear the instrument.

If any of this doesn't yet make sense, read the manual - Pro Tools is so much a better program when you do. There are plenty of subtle differences from other DAWs that will confuse and annoy you if not.

Also, go here:
http://badhabitstudios.com/help/prot...cs/softsynths/

... much excellent help available from spkguitar.

ok, I´ll try that! Does Pro Tools have any instruments yet, or do I have to download or convert some first?

I´ll see .
Old 07-24-2007, 10:00 AM

My experience is also that VST to RTAS adpater works perfect and stable. I had my doubts before I got it but it has proven that that was wrong.

Drummer of Yamaha Birch Absolute Custom Nouveau Vintage Natural - Zildjian K Custom Dark - Sabian HH

Macbook (2009-01) 2.0 GHz 4 GB
Intel Quad (2007-07) Q6600 2x250 4 GB
PT 8
Digirack 002
Monitors: JM-Lab Electra 906 & SW900 driven with Pioneer Reference M-90

"Semiprofessional user"
Old 07-24-2007, 10:29 AM

wow, the xpand is really amazing! thousand times better than the Cubase stuff! I have to read the manual, just have to print it out, so I can take it with me at work
Old 07-24-2007, 11:16 AM

hey guys!

Can you tell me where I have to put .rx2 files to use them? And how do I use them?

I just opened and installed my Ignition Pack, I´m damn excited .

I think I can print the manual today...
Old 07-24-2007, 11:24 AM

It doesn't really matter where you put them. Try my tutorial: How to use REX and ACID files in Pro Tools, it might shed some light on things.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12