Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2004, 08:00 PM

Default Problems: Mbox + MIDI USB devices?

Hi. I'm using a Midisport MIDIMan 1x1 USB interface and I'm having a little trouble with it. I was wondering if anyone here has used a USB MIDI interface with the Mbox. It seems that whenever I have the MIDIMan plugged into the USB port, I get some kind of "clicking" on my recorded audio. This is kind of a problem for me, because I use an Alesis DMPro drum machine thru the MIDIMan, and I record to the midi drums, as well as play to them live.

Do you think that this could be just a matter of getting a powered hub for the MIDIMan, thereby leaving more power for the Mbox? Has anyone ever experienced related issues while using another USB device with the Mbox? I know that I shouldn't run the Mbox off a powered hub, but would it be a good idea to get one for the any other USB devices?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Problems: Mbox + MIDI USB devices?

first off make sure they arent using the same controller (2 USB ports run off 1 controller)
make sure you have set windows to adjust for best performace of background services - as MIDI drivers run in the background
if this doesnot work take the midiman back and get an Edirol UM1
or go all out and get a UM880 ive never had a problem with mine

Avid may now own midiman but last i checked they hadnt tested any of their products with pt - the UM series has been testeed and works im glad i went for the edirol over the midiman - even though it was alot time b4 i got PT

----------------
Protools 6.4
Digi 002
Edirol UM-880
Intel D865 PERLL mobo (Firewire & SATA onboard)
Intel P4 3GHz 800MHz FSB with Hyper-Threading
1GB (2x512MB) Kingston RAM (duel channel)
80GB WD PATA (system)
120GB Seagate SATA (audio)
nvidia geforce fx5200
Old 09-06-2004, 09:30 PM

It is more likely that you are running into USB bandwidth issues rather than power problems. Open up device manager and change it to view by connection. Expand all your USB controllers and move the midiman around to different USB ports until it isn't under the same controller as the mbox.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:56 AM

Thanks for the tips, cozmo and bb aus. I'd like to take a look at that Edimol MIDI interface, do you have a website for it? But before I go buy something else, I'd like to try to get what I have working.

First off, I only have two USB ports on my laptop anyway, so I don't have a lot of leeway there. I have a Firewire drive right next to them too, which I have my external HD plugged into. I don't really know what you're talking about with the USB controllers, I've never played with this setting and I couldn't see it in the view by connections in Device Manager. Could you elaborate a little? That makes sense about it being a bandwidth issue, rather than a power issue.

Is it possible to change the controller(s) so that I can have two USB ports right next to each other running off different controllers?
Old 09-07-2004, 10:28 AM

I agree about the bandwidth theory.I wouldnt run them off the same hub. The mbox should In my opinion be the only thing running off your laptop's usb. I would get an usb 2.0 pcmcia card(powered) for your other devices (midi controler)

Digi02/mbox.shuttle an35s,AMD 3200+, 2x512mb geil pc3200, maxtor 60,120 Gigs, Ati Rad7000 dual svga.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:49 AM

The thing is, I'm on a laptop. So I'm not exactly dripping with expansion area. I'll look into it, but I'm kind of stuck with what I have. Any other suggestions though? Even if I can't neccessarily do it, I'd still like to know the other options available.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:29 PM

Can the mbox run on usb 1.0? cause thats what my laptop got . Rigt now im running my mbox thru a 4 slot pcmcia usb 2.0 card because of that also in that card i got a midi keyboard and a evolution uc33e.
could that be the reason for the annoing noise problem?
Old 09-10-2004, 08:47 AM

USB 1 is a complete subset of USB 2 so there shouldn't be any problem running USB 2 devices off a USB 1 interface.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:19 AM

yes the Mbox is an usb 1 device, you can use it on your computer's ports, and leave the usb 2.0 for something else. The Mbox should be alone on a set of usb port (sharing the same controller). And if you use usb 1 and usb 2 device on the same set of usb port all will be lowered to usb 1.