Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 12-08-2020, 12:02 PM

Default Match frame, three-point editing in Pro Tools (from a video editing perspective)

I come from a video editing background. My bread and butter are:

— Match frame editing
— Three-point editing
— Clip markers
— Bins and Search bins

I'm struggling to find ways to adapt some of these techniques to Pro Tools, especially math frame editing. I find it cumbersome to place an entire clip on a timeline in order to make selections from it and insert those edits in particular places.

I'm really curious to know if other video editors have found ways to mimic these vide editing workflows in Pro Tools.
Old 12-08-2020, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Match frame, three-point editing in Pro Tools (from a video editing perspective)

And from the classical music perspective, this is my single biggest complaint about Pro Tools. It's very cumbersome to edit music that is off-the-grid. You would be amazed how many Pro Tools users don't know what they're missing!
Old 09-07-2023, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Match frame, three-point editing in Pro Tools (from a video editing perspective)

Even though the thread is several years old, the principles of transitioning from video editing to audio editing in Pro Tools are still applicable. While the software itself may have seen updates and improvements, the core concepts remain valuable for those making the transition.

For Match Frame Editing, consider Pro Tools as your canvas for audio. Instead of visual frames, you're working with audio waveforms. Zooming in on these waveforms allows for precision when selecting and editing specific audio segments, similar to how you would focus on frames in video editing.

Also, I think that this video editor might be helpful. It's one of the most powerful and easy-to-use editors I know.

Last edited by krapecafe; 09-11-2023 at 08:29 AM.