Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2012, 11:40 AM

Default Pro Tools and win7-64bit help!!

hello friends, can you advise me please..i would like to buy a pc with win7-64bit but i'm not sure about the how it is gonna work with pt 10 because im already using win 7-32bit, operation system: dual core procesor 4200+ 3GB ram and i just cant work properly with that it stucks every 10 sec when im creating a track.....i know what with apple products it works perfect but how about windows??? tnks for you answers appreciate
Old 08-24-2012, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools and win7-64bit help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin173 View Post
hello friends, can you advise me please..i would like to buy a pc with win7-64bit but i'm not sure about the how it is gonna work with pt 10 because im already using win 7-32bit, operation system: dual core procesor 4200+ 3GB ram and i just cant work properly with that it stucks every 10 sec when im creating a track.....i know what with apple products it works perfect but how about windows??? tnks for you answers appreciate
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Macs don't work perfectly unless they are configured correctly(same as a PC, but PC owners need to pay a lot more attention to hardware). In general, buying an "off the shelf" PC is NOT a good idea. Motherboard, cpu, firewire controller(if you plan on a FW interface) are all critical, and the OS won't matter at all if the hardware is wrong. Check out the "i7 Builds" thread in the Pro Tools LE for Windows section of the DUC. Most of us have built custom PC's for Pro Tools(or had them built according to specific parts and setup instructions). This is why its so important to post a SANDRA report when trying to get help with a PC setup. If we don't know all the hardware, we are only shooting in the dark.

To recap, Windows 7 64 bit is fine with Pro Tools 8.0.5 and later. Putting the right parts in is critical, as is performing the proper system tweaks and BIOS setup. An i7 socket 2011 cpu, on an X79 motherboard, with 16GB of quad-channel RAM, and properly configured, will run the daylights out of Pro Tools, and do it for half the cost of a comparable Mac

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-26-2012, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools and win7-64bit help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Macs don't work perfectly unless they are configured correctly(same as a PC, but PC owners need to pay a lot more attention to hardware). In general, buying an "off the shelf" PC is NOT a good idea. Motherboard, cpu, firewire controller(if you plan on a FW interface) are all critical, and the OS won't matter at all if the hardware is wrong. Check out the "i7 Builds" thread in the Pro Tools LE for Windows section of the DUC. Most of us have built custom PC's for Pro Tools(or had them built according to specific parts and setup instructions). This is why its so important to post a SANDRA report when trying to get help with a PC setup. If we don't know all the hardware, we are only shooting in the dark.

To recap, Windows 7 64 bit is fine with Pro Tools 8.0.5 and later. Putting the right parts in is critical, as is performing the proper system tweaks and BIOS setup. An i7 socket 2011 cpu, on an X79 motherboard, with 16GB of quad-channel RAM, and properly configured, will run the daylights out of Pro Tools, and do it for half the cost of a comparable Mac
Agreed. I built my machine looking at the PC recommendations on the AVID site and stayed on that list. PT 10 works great, no issues and excellent performance. Did have to make a few tweaks here and there, but its been running strong for over a year now, with no issues.

Look at the recommended hardware list and if you stay with those choices you can have a nice system. Not saying that you can't have success getting off that list, because you can, but its going to take some time getting the system set up right.