How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2018, 08:08 PM

Default Hardware... missing

I am having an issue, with Pro Tools recognizing my audio interface, I was at
first using an audiogram6, I am now trying with an Mbox2 Pro still without luck. When I go into setup>playback engine I can't select the audio interface, as well "setup>hardware.." is not there at all as it is on my friends pro tools, on a separate computer. I attached a photo of what the drop down menu looks like.. I hope someone can help, thank you in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pro tools.jpg (13.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-06-2018, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Hardware... missing

The photo shows available options but doesn't show your selection, so did you click on 'Playback Engine'?

Have you installed appropriate Mbox drivers for the version of Pro Tools you're using.

What operating system are you using, What version of Pro Tools and have you checked whether or not your Mbox is compatable with the version of PT & OS you're using?
Oh and how is your Mbox connected to your computer...USB, Firewire?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 03-06-2018, 08:44 PM

I have installed the drivers for the mbox, I am on windows 10, I have pro tools 12.8.3 and according the the avid website the mbox2 is compatible with this version of pro tools. I have gone into the "playback engine" box and I cannot change the device, I posted that photo to show that "hardware.." is nowhere to be found in that drop down menu, on my friends computer about "playback engine.." there is a "hardware.." option as well that just isn't there on my computer.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:39 AM

Three things:
make absolutely sure that Windows is NOT using the interface for system sounds and such

hold down the 'n' key on the computer keyboard and you should be able to select your interface

You haven't said how your interface is connected to the computer but if it's via USB go into Windows Control Panel and make sure all power savings measures are turned off, especially for the USB ports. Windoze by default has power savings measures turned on which means that after a certain unknown amount of time the power to the USB ports is turned off (yes - even on desktops).

QAPLA!
Old 03-07-2018, 09:02 AM

I found the problem, when I looked further I found that the drivers I had installed were incorrect, bought the interface spur of the moment for forty bucks yesterday and was told it was an mbox 2 pro... it's just an mbox... so once I downloaded the proper drivers and fired up pro tools I was able to change the device in the play back engine, thank you two for the quick responses though!