Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2006, 05:11 PM

Default HPF = high pitched whine

I noticed something odd the other day. I was wearing cans and had the volume cranked as I instiated a single-band EQ3 for a highpass filter. When I engaged teh filter, I heard a clear high-pitched tone/whine.

I swtiched over to a Channel G HPF and got the SAME whine when engaging the HPF.

What's going on here?
Old 02-23-2006, 12:14 AM

Default Re: HPF = high pitched whine

Here is one solution, but I haven't tried it myself, yet!
Old 02-23-2006, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I noticed something odd the other day. I was wearing cans and had the volume cranked as I instiated a single-band EQ3 for a highpass filter. When I engaged teh filter, I heard a clear high-pitched tone/whine.

I swtiched over to a Channel G HPF and got the SAME whine when engaging the HPF.

What's going on here?
On my G5 2x2 at home, I notice (but only when I have phones on) a high-pitched whine whenever I'm clicking the mouse button - it's a system thing, not related to the software I'm using, and it doesn't show up in the files created, so I just ignore it. Are you experiencing something like this? It would account for the same noise on different brands of plug-in - you should check if it's printed in your mix.

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Post
Toronto

Rig 1: 2.8GHz Macbook Pro PT 12.7.1 Logic 10.3.2 Scarlett 18i20
Rig 2: 2.66 QuadCore Intel Xeon Logic 10.2.0 Scarlett 18i20 PTHD10.3.10
Old 02-23-2006, 09:02 AM

Very funny, but no. The high pitch kicks in only when I engage the HPF filters of the plug-ins I mentioned. I'll run a couple more tests in the next few days and check to see if it's getting printed.

Like I said earlier - it's way down there in volume, not something you'd necessarily notice on a busy rock mix if you were to just pop a HPF on the guitar bus, etc. But, if you're listening in cans with the volume (temporarily) cranked, you can hear it plain as day.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:53 AM

Strange. . . I have heard something like this in one setup and it was related to the CRT Monitor and external cabling or grounding. As soon as the screen changed, in a certain way, a high frequency noise showed up.

What happens if you turn up the input or output gain on the plugin? Does it get louder?