Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2012, 08:21 PM

Default Mbox 3 Mini Driver CD compatible with parallels??

I am trying to install the CD that contains the drivers for mbox 3 mini into the Windows 7 side of my computer through parallels. I have a Mac OS X. I am able to see the contents in the CD but, there is no where I can click to download the drivers. Is it possible to download the drivers from the CD on the windows 7 through parallels?? PLEASE HELP!! THANKS!!
Old 12-23-2012, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Mbox 3 Mini Driver CD compatible with parallels??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuli1 View Post
I am trying to install the CD that contains the drivers for mbox 3 mini into the Windows 7 side of my computer through parallels. I have a Mac OS X. I am able to see the contents in the CD but, there is no where I can click to download the drivers. Is it possible to download the drivers from the CD on the windows 7 through parallels?? PLEASE HELP!! THANKS!!
Why are you tryign to do this for? DAW applications are amongst the least suitable for running within a virtual machine, they are very sensitive to latency etc.

USB capabilities of the virtual machine software may let the driver be installed but I'd bet good money that doing that ends up being a problem laden waste of time. Again the question is what is the big picture of what are you tryign to do? The Mac OS X host is a great platform or a DAW.

And what do you mean by "the windows 7 side of your computer"? Do you mean a standard Parallels virtual machine or is this a bootcamp partition that you are also booting into a Parallels virtual machine? If the later you need to reboot the Mac into Windows 7 via bootcamp not try to use it under parallels. But why bother with any of this?

Darryl
Old 12-24-2012, 07:26 AM

I have windows 7 under parallels (standard). The reason why I did parallels in the first place was because FL Studio only works with windows and not Mac. I have my speakers connected to the mbox 3 mini which is connected to my laptop via usb.

Although I didn't install the contents from the cd that came with the mbox, everything is working perfectly fine. The only thing is under audio setting in FL Studio the mbox is under direct sound. Does the cd that came with the mbox contain an ASIO driver? Is ASIO better than direct sound? I have ASIO4all installed but, the mbox does not work well under it (static, white noise). Should i leave mbox under direct sound?

Sorry for my questions..i am new at this...
Old 12-24-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuli1 View Post
I have windows 7 under parallels (standard). The reason why I did parallels in the first place was because FL Studio only works with windows and not Mac. I have my speakers connected to the mbox 3 mini which is connected to my laptop via usb.

Although I didn't install the contents from the cd that came with the mbox, everything is working perfectly fine. The only thing is under audio setting in FL Studio the mbox is under direct sound. Does the cd that came with the mbox contain an ASIO driver? Is ASIO better than direct sound? I have ASIO4all installed but, the mbox does not work well under it (static, white noise). Should i leave mbox under direct sound?

Sorry for my questions..i am new at this...
"Everything is working perfectly fine".... errr except you have static and white noise and other problems. The kind of thing you would expect related to timing/latency problems when running in a virtual machine. If you managed to get it working at all with any drivers, feel lucky and leave it alone.

You don't need ASIO4ALL, it is a waste of time installing that for an Mbox3, that is for devices that only come with an old WDM driver. The Mbox 3 drivers are ASIO so you don't need ASIO4ALL. I also don't get why you are asking here about CD/DVD-ROM contents. Just download the latest standard drivers... http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...271?popup=true. Whether they work or install at all depends on the Parallels USB implementation, I would assume work on USB audio interfaces has near zero priority at Parallels. If you still want to mess around, make sure the interface is allocated to the virtual machine and try a standard Mbox driver install.

But... all this really is just a bad idea and will at some time just cause problems. If you want to run DAW/music apps on Windows on a Mac stop wasting your time and do it using bootcamp.

Darryl