Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-07-2022, 07:23 PM

Default Video newbie: sync'ing wild shot video with concert audio

I have concert multitrack and was just given the video from the show. I synced the beginning using the audio from the video and it got things going pretty well, but then it starts to drift. What is my best option for maintaining the best sync throughout the entire concert?

I'm wondering if it's possible to set a beginning point and an end point and shrinking or stretching the video track to conform to the audio so their lengths are perfectly matched.

Thanks!

Edwin
Old 08-08-2022, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Video newbie: sync'ing wild shot video with concert audio

It will drift unless the devices were clocked together to run at the exact same speed. You'll have to nip and tuck the edit around to resync or hope the video is a constant speed and adjust the speed of the audio to match. Also, are you sure your system isn't drifting? Are you locked to a black burst and using a stable codec on your video like Pro Res? MP4's seem to work pretty well these days but they're still more of a viewable file than a work file.
Old 08-21-2022, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Video newbie: sync'ing wild shot video with concert audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinh View Post
I have concert multitrack and was just given the video from the show. I synced the beginning using the audio from the video and it got things going pretty well, but then it starts to drift. What is my best option for maintaining the best sync throughout the entire concert?

I'm wondering if it's possible to set a beginning point and an end point and shrinking or stretching the video track to conform to the audio so their lengths are perfectly matched.

Thanks!

Edwin
It is possible to stretch and squeeze. But drifts like this are rarely continuous and tend to ebb and flow. You maybe want to do the squeeze as a guide for yourself as "Roughly right" version. But you may get better end results with the occasional nudge and crossfade. That way, 99% of the time the audio is unprocessed.