Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-26-2006, 05:38 PM

Default 6085, 6086 buffer errors solutions per Digi

My config:
ASus A7V8X-X / KT400
amd 3000+ xp
2.5 GB PC2700 RAM
Oxford chipset Firewire hd enclosure with 160GB 7200 rpm <10ms drive
80GB WD 7200 <8ms O/S Drive
WinXP Pro SP2
Digi 002
generic bs ATI AGP vid card

I spent about 45 minutes on the phone tonight trying some things. Thankfully, I got a very nice guy on the phone who was not only easy to talk to but really great at what he does. Some **NEW** rough steps for those with buffer underrun/overrun issues to try, per Digi phone support:

1. Solution: Do not use a PCI video card on an AGP board. I'm guessing this f's up the processor scheduling and interrupts.

2. Solution: Check to make sure your primary O/S hard drive is set to the primary spot (almost always the closest IDE/ATA cable choice. (there are two.. the one at the end is for a secondary slave drive) Check your motherboard manual to make sure that this is the case.

3. Solution: Check that your primary IDE channel ( the o/s drive) is set to DMA.

how to do it: In device manager, click plus next to IDE ATA /ATAPI controllers. On the third item in there, Change the driver (select choose which driver I wish to install) to "standard dual channel PCI IDE Controller." Reboot.

Back to Device manager:
Next, right click on Primary IDE, click properties. Under transfer mode, choose DMA if available. Click apply and reboot. Make sure that under current transfer mode, Ultra DMA mode 2 is shown. *****************For some reason, mine was on PIO , and this was the default for my copy of windows.******************************* The tech specifically said that LE will certainly NOT work with the O/S drive in PIO mode.

4. IN PTLE, under 'Window->drives' be sure to select the firewire drive as "record" and not just transfer only. ((rough!))

These are rough and from memory so bear with me please.

I asked the tech to please post these steps to check online either in DUC or on the answerbase so that other users might benefit from them. I told him that several other people on here are having issues, and they are not all people with dual core cpus. I don't know how accurate that is, but I'm sure there are others new to LE who might be experiencing the same. I'm almost positive that the video card was less of a solution than the PIO thing.

Now...on with getting creative for me.....
We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence — presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this device or not; it doesn't say am I meeting with something, am I focused on writing something. [LIST][*]Bill Gates .NET Briefing Day Speech (24 July 2002)