Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-12-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Normalize bug

We have found an odd problem with Audiosuite's "Normalize" processor. When we try and process multiple files (these are disk file regions not auto-create) with "Normalize". Pro Tools will not normalize the files that reside below the normalize level.

For example:

I have 30 files/regions on a track. 15 are peaking at 0 and 15 are peaking at -6db (their order is mixed up). I want to bring all files up to 0. So I highlight all 30 files and set Normalize to the following.... "region list" (or playlist), use in playlist is selected, create individual files, and "individual Level"

After I hit process, the files remain exactly the same. The normalize function is behaving as if "all relative levels" is selected. Because if I were to reduce the gain of the 15 files from 0 to -3, all the files will raise by 3 db.

This function has worked fine in older versions. Currently we have seven PTle7.3.1 le dv toolkit rigs (of various cs updates) where this function seems to be broken. But on our 6.9.2 HD rig, it works fine.

My system is configured as follows...

MacPro 2x2 Dual Core, 4 gig ram, PTle 7.3.1 cs2, dv toolkit2, os10.4.8

Any help would be great
Old 12-14-2007, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Normalize bug

I also contacted Digi tech support and the Digi bug report. I received two different answers.........

"Hi,

Make sure that you have "Region by Region" selected and not "Entire
Selection". This should resolve the issue. You can find information
about this setting on page 34 of the Digirack Plug-ins guide linked
to your help menu.

Best regards,
Digidesign Technical Support"

AND

"Hi,

We are aware of the change in behavior and are hoping to address it
in a future release. Thanks for you patience with this issue.

Best regards,
Digidesign Technical Support"

Which is it?

I have tried every possible setting and Normalize does dose behave properly on our 7.3.1 LE systems.

Any help ideas? Does 7.4 fix this? Or does just improve my ability to "make beatz"???
Old 12-14-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:

Any help ideas? Does 7.4 fix this? Or does just improve my ability to "make beatz"???
Sarcasm from someone using "NORMALIZATION" seem a bit ironic don't cha think?
Any how, on 7.4 if you select multiple tracks and tell it Levels On Each Chan/Track it will normalize each.
Still can't see the reason for killing a track with normalization but it does work in 7.4.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:04 PM

Just tried it in 7.4. It doesnt work as described.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) 32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2020.5, Apollo 8 Silver
Old 12-15-2007, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Just tried it in 7.4. It doesnt work as described.

Of course it does you have to use different setting when using multiple tracks.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:01 AM

Curtis I'm having the exact same problem....selecting multiple regions and normalizing region by region should in theory bring all regions up to a peak of whatever you set, but it does not seem to be working that way. I'm getting half my regions to the correct level and the other half are lower.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:37 AM

See. I'm not insane. I actually sent Digi a session demonstrating the problem and (in typical digi fasion) I never heard from them again.

Hopefully this is fixed in 8.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:05 AM

Hey folks, just something to consider here(as always, with opinions, YMMV). With digital, having all your audio tracks railed(right up to -0) is not a good idea and really has no benefit. What you are describing sounds to me like a kind of Batch processing, which I don't think PT does(but I may be wrong there). If you record at 24 bit(highly recommended) then your audio meters on individual tracks need only be around the 2/3rds mark or at least halfway(there is no sonic improvement by going higher in my opinion). After playing with Normalize on a few things, I now never touch that plugin and would rather adjust with the GAIN plugin where I can tell it exactly high much to increase or decrease the level of a region. Since Audiosuite plugins can sit on the desktop, its also pretty simple to just move from region to region and process each at a time(instead of processing several at once after selecting each region). I'm not saying what you are doing is wrong, just giving you stuff the think about.

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave