Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2012, 11:53 AM

Default Looking for a good studio mic please help!

I have experience with studio mics. I currently have a Marshall.

I'm looking for a mic that can handle high frequencies very well.

My mic does really well with low and mid frequencies but during the climax of songs the pitchiness in the voice causes the sound to distort. I need a solution for this. If you back away from the mic the voice looses its depth.

I just want a nice crisp sound on the S's and pops along the high end. How do I get this sound for a good price.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:58 PM

Is this just for vocals? What mic and mic pre are you using now? Also where are you recording? And finally budget?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2012, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Looking for a good studio mic please help!

Really cliche, but a U87 will get the job done.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:51 PM

I wish folks would give us a clue what they have! Knowing what you have that DOESN'T work for you can make all the difference in the world when it comes to advice. Without knowing what you have, we can't tell if maybe its fine but not being used correctly, or maybe your recording levels are incorrect. Or maybe you need a good pop screen. Or maybe room acoustics is ruining the sound of an otherwise good mic.....you get the diea. Help us help you

Yes, I see you have a Marshall. Marshall, aka MXL makes at least a dozen models. Their MXL V89 is one of the best inexensive vocal mics on the market. Of course, one of their sub $100 mics is likely a much worse option(especially if you have the one that LOOKS like a large diaphragm mic, but actually holds a small diaphragm capsule).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-25-2012, 11:16 AM

I'm enjoying my sE Electronics X1. $199 most places. Handles highs fairly elegantly. Not quite U87 quality, but, you know, for less than 10% of the cost, it's quite impressive.

Now, pitchiness does not cause distortion. Distortion happens in the level domain. So, I'm not at all sure what you mean, there. Most likely, the distortion you're hearing is happening in the mic pre, not in the mic itself. It should be fixable by setting the mic pre level more conservatively. But it's possible that a really cheap mic could fail to handle high end well when the singer gets loud. The sE X1 will not disappoint on that score.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 03-27-2012, 12:48 AM

+1 for the sE X1, it's quite decent for the price.

Have a look at the Studio Projects B1, it sounds like it'll fit your needs nicely.. slightly scooped in the mids, on the bright side but not harsh and has a nice, round proximity effect. For something a bit less bright and more smooth, check out the Avantone CK-6/CK-7. If you want something very shimmery the ADK Vienna would be good.