Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2016, 07:33 AM

Default Cannot hear guitar with Babyface Pro into PT 12.5

I am really please with Pro Tools and my Babyface pro.
I have been using it with virtual instruments so far, into Pro tools - no problems.

Today I tried to hook up a guitar and I can't get the sound working. On the babyface, I see 3 green lights when I play the guitar and I get the same on both sides, e.g. if I use IN 3 or 4.

I am using the IN 3 jack on the right side of the interface. In Pro tools, I can't see an input which corresponds.

I have attached the inputs available.

I have no idea if I have to use Total mix to get this working.

I hope someone can help. There is an manual with the Babyface Pro but it is massive and not very clear. Many thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 15.25.33.png (76.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-01-2016, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Cannot hear guitar with Babyface Pro into PT 12.5

What guitar? Acoustic? Electric? What pickups or microphone?

If electric with standard magnetic pickups....

You need to go into the DI/instrument input on your interface.... You need to read the manual to find out about that. Make sure the appropriate gain is turned up. (edit: Oops I noticed you said it was the Babyface *pro* I thought just Babyface to start with. With the pro inputs 3 and 4 are combo line-in/DI but you need to make sure the gain is set on those in total mix).

In Pro Tools you need to be using a mono audio track with a guitar amp plugin inserted in that track to hear anything "normal". Start with Eleven Free of you don't have anything else. A common mistake beginner mistake is trying to use an instrument track.

Still stuck, post screenshots of: pro tools playback engine dialog panel, setup>IO>input panel, mix window showing inserts and IO selectors and all tracks (you should be debugging this with a one or two track session) and the total mix window showing the input gain setting.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-01-2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Cannot hear guitar with Babyface Pro into PT 12.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon2horizon View Post
I have no idea if I have to use Total mix to get this working.
From my experience you always have to involve Total Mix with RME interfaces. Start checking your Input settings in Total Mix and make sure it´s routing connects with Pro Tools correctly.
And as mentioned by Darryl already make sure you use the right Input or the right setting (in Total Mix) on the Input (DI/Instrument) at least, go to the Playback Engine menu in Pro Tools
and make sure you have the Babyface selected as your Playback Engine AND finally set every single page of the Pro Tools I/O menu to default and click ok. This is important.
As it reads in the description of the Babyface Pro Input 3 and 4 is meant to be used with guitars. So this is correct obviously. Therefor go to Total Mix and make sure everthing is routed as
it is supposed to. Under normal circumstances you then should be able to choose the suiting Input in Pro Tools and you should be good to go finally.

The best of success to you.

Cheers.