Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-26-2001, 05:39 PM

Default Re: MTC input disabled when "Beat clock to port.." or "MTC to Port..." is enabled

This is a major bummer for me as well. When I want PT to chase tape and send beatclock to, say, Reason, I'm outta luck. Studio Vision Pro has no trouble doing this, why can't PT?!?
Old 10-27-2001, 12:01 AM

Default MTC input disabled when "Beat clock to port.." or "MTC to Port..." is enabled

Sorry about my user name guys... long story. Much more important, is this problem of the "current time" display (in my session setup window) freezing as soon as I enable midi beat clock to port MTP AV, or MTC to port MTP AV. Once I do either of these, the only way I've been able to get PT to see incoming MTC again, is by rebooting my G4 and the Midi Timepiece. I've downloaded the newest MOTU/USB driver... that didn't help. I am runnig a G4 500mghz OS 9.04. I have installed PT 5.11 hoping this problem would go away. I can't tell if this is a MOTU problem or a PT problem.

I need to be able to send out beat clock while I'm sycned to MTC. I can do this with some old sequencer software, but that means that I can't be using PT at the same time!

What troubles me most is that no one elses seems to have this problem. I've been a protools user since, before it was even called protools. I've used nearly every version of the program. I have never used this "user conference" thingy so I appologize if I'm doing this wrong! Help! please, and forgive me if this has already been dealt with.

Brad
Old 10-27-2001, 03:24 AM

Default Re: MTC input disabled when "Beat clock to port.." or "MTC to Port..." is enabled

Altghough it is impossible for me to give you a precise answer I have however fought long battles with MOTU interfaces and have learnt a few lessons from that...

The main source of problems are the following :
-USB extension conflicts (not frequent, I assume you have checked this part)
-USB MTPAV in my experience does not like sharing usb ports, even with good quality hubs. NOT EVEN with a mouse and keyboard !. (forget about fax modems...). Start your experiments by connecting the MTP directly to the MAC with a short good quality cable.
- OMS / MTP / MIDI Routing problems : The MTP AV is a complicated beast and can easily provoke feedback loops or data gluts

SOLUTIONS
First I assume you have a perfectly OMS compatible version of FreeMidi. This means that when you run OMS studio setup (don't start ProTools yet) you interface is perfectly recognized for what it is (not just as a standard interface) and that you can use the test tools and see if MIDI signals get normally to the MTP outputs.

- Check the digi and MOTU answerbases for tips as to how to get a good OMS-FreeMidi config running

- Next you should have on your system a OMS compatible (again...) version of the MOTU Clockworks software. This is ESSENTIAL since it will enable you to graphically modify the routing and the MIDI filtering in the insides of your interface
- using Clockworks :
1)MIDI clock tends to be sent to all ports of the MTP and this creates problems. Filter it out of the output ports you don't need it on (VERY important)
2)Filter out all the junk certain keyboard controllers send (like MIDI clocks from their internal sequencer, or active sensing)
3)simplify the internal routing of the MTP making sure you bypass the internal timecode generator so that it does not attempt to synchronise to your MTC : if not it will feed code back to the Mac with sometimes unpredictable results
- use output port 1 for clocks. (Not essential but may help)
- finally uncheck any unused OMS MIDI inputs in ProTools. You definitely don't need to activate the MTP interface port. All you need are the individual ports where you plug in your keyboards or controllers
IMPORTANT : When you experience a major MIDI lockup or erratic MTP behaviour, quit and power down your mac AND the MTP, then start the whole thing again (MTP first and after a few seconds the Mac). Horrible I admit but it is the only way to start afresh so as not to be led astray by a bugged USB bus. This should not happen again (or at least rarely...)once you have a good configuration

-Finally there ARE a few occasional Pro Tools problem: It is sometimes (rarely though) necessary to "reselect" the MTC output port to "prime" it when you re-open a session. If not the MTC does not output. I suspect this happens when I modify something in the OMS config.

Finally save the MTP setup as well as the clockworks setup in case the MTP internal battery goes dead

Good luck [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]